Sinister: Riding With Lady Luck

rob cramp at xxx.org
Wed Feb 28 08:42:01 GMT 2001

Listfolk,

You do find the durndest things on college bulletin boards. I myself the
other day found posted an offer of monetary reward, to offer my
opinion in a discussion of bank services. Research, y'see. Corporate
research. Without the appropriate skepticism, I signed up. They inundated
me with reminders in the month between the sign-up and date of
discussion. They even telephoned me the day before; yes, my opinion was
worthwhile; it could change corporate structure; economic democracy was
staging a miraculous return to the U-nited States.

Then, the bikeride there, I tried to do too much. I bought the new Liliput
CD, tried some polyester pants on, in lieu of finding my destination. As
it happened, I got a little lost, riding all around the circumference of
the bustling mall before finding the right place. They wanted my opinion
at 5:00, but I walked in the door at 5:07, to a glaring secretary.

: I'm here to participate in the survey.
 : Sorry sir, they've already started.
: Well, can I just read the instructions and go in?
 : You're late. Don't go in. Wait, stay here.

[annoyance at me, and more of it. she leaves her position monitoring the
conference room by speakerphone, and walks into the room. the speakerphone
betrays me, offers only muffled talk.]

 : Well sir, you'll get your money.
: Aright, should I just go on in?
 : No sir, you're not allowed to enter the discussion.
: Here you are.

[hands me a white envelope, with a crisp bill rarely seen: $50]

: Uhhhhhhh. Uh.
 : If you had been twenty minutes late, we wouldn't have paid you.
 : But you were less than ten. Next time be on time. [curt]
: You can see why I'm puzzled that I'm getting paid.
 : You can see why *we're* puzzled that you came late.
: [no. i. can't. i leave.]

How to avoid crashing due to incredulity on the way home?

Then, today, sitting in my sociology class entitled American Capitalism,
my teacher began to discuss incentives of buying and selling under
various capitalist economic configurations. Buying and selling,
abbreviated in his frenetic style, B&S. Soon there was B&S all over the
board, and I swore I would not let this incident sully my understanding of
those little initials.

Talk talk,

Rob