Sinister: giving up is hard to do

Robert Brennan rob_brennan at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 28 12:51:02 GMT 2001

Sinister!

Who would have thought that last night's pleasant
pancake-party was actually a cunningly wrought trap...

We were happily munching down our pancake-wrapped
stir-fried veg (delicious by the way).  Then our
vaguely christian-leaning hosts steered the
conversation around to Lent and the traditional
giving- up of one of your vices for 40 days.  I'm not
a christian but I still give presents at Christmas so
why not?  My offers to give up work, bathing or
dropping obscure pop references into conversations
failed to impress anyone - so I was eventually
persuaded to take up a challenge...  exercise!

Anyone who's met me knows my relationship with
exercise so far has been a cold one - ever since I
discovered that being cynical about fit healthy people
is easier than being one.  And young people don't
worry about turning into wobbly lard-buckets when
they're older.

I'm getting older.

So I have resolved to run like a bastard - at least
twice a week, maybe more - until I nearly collapse for
at least the next six weeks.  Who knows - maybe at the
next picnic I'll be the lithe, flat-bellied athlete
that you always knew lurked inside the ugly fat man.

I realised that I got off lightly as others around the
table found themselves forced to give up chocolate,
swearing, tea, porn or alcohol.  I can still do all
those things!

It also occurred to me that this is a really good idea
and can actually work when there's peer pressure
involved.  So is anyone else prepared to drop their
unhealthy addictions or take up new healthy lifestyles
for this six-week church-imposed trial period?  Maybe
Ken could give up red bull? (maybe not - waits to be
pelted with empty redbull cans)

That'll do

Robster

content: anybody planning to bootleg the Glasgow gig?