Sinister: Sinister Junios Reporter reporting for duty.

David Howie howied41 at xxx.com
Wed Feb 28 19:59:39 GMT 2001

The Scene:

John McIntyre Hall, instruments strewn across the stage: Wurlitzer; opaque
black electric guitar; transparent bass; blond electro-coustic with a turtle
shell scratch-plate; drums (drums are just drums aren’t they); piano; cello
(lovely instrument); and violin.

The pasty-faced vegan geeks sit cross-legged abreast the tabernacle, where
the angelic chimings of Belle and Sebastian is sacrificed for the next 45
minutes.  There they come, look.  It’s them.  Stuart.  Richie.  Stevie.  Wee
Chris.  Surly Isobel.  Lovely Sarah.  Oh my God, a Maisonette?  Surely not
Legal Man live.  Hmmm.  Worried look adorns the face of young Howie.

Stuart scurries about collecting lyric sheets as the Belles play an
Introductory ditty.  Low melodic shuffling chords hide behind the irascible
drawl of Stevie’s harmonica solo.  One-and-a-half minutes of aural
egg-shells; Stuart still looking fer tit-bits.  He steps to the microphone,
mumbles something about opening the floor for questions.  “Stuart, what are
the issues?”  Hmm.  Ahh. Well.  That’s a rather boring question, in that it
means I have to think, pines Struan.  You tell me the issues and I’ll tell
you my attitude towards them, he jests.

Murdoch moves for the piano, Sarah steps to the fore adjusting the lead
microphone so as to allow the audience to here her violin.

‘There’s a portrait *Clunk*… in a backroom, which I keep *Clunk*… for days…
*Clunk*…’  Stops.  Are you about finished moving that?  Laughter implores
the room.  Stevie breaks into a smile; or, rather, a smile breaks into
Stevie.  Back to the song.  ‘There’s a portrait…’  It’s glorious.  Euphony
abounds as the angel ascends to a sonorous heaven.  ‘Epiphany’ lies dormant,
too limp a word to describe Murdoch’s iridescent genius.

Much shuffling of people.  Positions assumed; instruments swapped: they’re
ready.  I envisage the band as a sort of amorphous cosmic space-jazz
septuplet.  Na, not really.  He said: I envisage the band as some sort of
building that still has its scaffolding up and you’re all not allowed in yet
but somehow you’ve broken in.  We’ll arrange some coupon system so you can
come back and see us when we’ve practised a little, jokes Murdoch.
“COUPONS?  You give me COUPONS?” jests Geddes.  They don’t get the
reference, says Murdoch.  We don’t get the reference.  Needless to say that
I Fought in a War remains a wholesale Love song as well as love song: and,
thus, fantastic if a bit obvious.

There’s Too Much Love, though (the song Nick Dastoor described as the
typical B&S sound that they’ve been driving toward) is frenetic and
ecstatic.  Vintage Belle and Sebastian augmented by outstanding performances
all round.  My God, this GIG was good.  Missed Bowlie: sad.

Stuart introduces the next track as a song that was going to be on the
soundtrack that they’re recording.  However, the director didn’t like it so
it probably won’t see light of day fer a while.  Murdoch was going to detail
the story of the film (as the song was scheduled to be at the end of the
film) but he realised that that would give away the ending.  Aww.  Centred
around a duopoly of riffs: curt but skewed LLPJ riff played out over and
over for 3 bars then raved up for the fourth.  Murdoch’s  back at his
lyrical best, poetic (but not flowery) lyrics which retain coherency and a
sense of “knowing what they want to say” (Cf. Women’s Realm, The Model).
The story is told from the view of an ageing director/actor who has sold
out.  “Take another tired story” make it into another boring movie.
However, the protagonist redeems himself by returning to the smaller stage,
the theatre.  The whole “sell-out/integrity of art theme” centred lyric
delivered against a ‘poppy’ (sorry, loose description) tune.

Then a pretty straight version of The Wrong Girl, which is no preparation
for what comes next.  Sympathy For The Devil (nee a Rolling Stones song).
You do it, I don’t want to sing.  “Well, I would sing but I want to
concentrate on the guitar” opines Stevie.  Ahh, go on.  “But I want to be
Mick.  I can’t be Keith and Mick at the same time.”  Rapturous laughter.
Then they play it and it rocks.  Sorry, it BelleandSebastians.  It’s grate.
Capital GRATE.  Stevie jokes his way through imitation Mick dancing and
pointing augmenting this performance by singing the last verse in a
faux-Mick falsetto.  They pulled it off.  Despite the fact it was a
shambles, if you know what I mean.  This song leaks into Legal Man, the
maisonettes trying their hardest to contain their inner-laughter.  The girls
seem unenthusiastic but the song-that-should-be-a-shambles-live is not: it’s
Legal Man it makes you want to dance.  It makes you want to sing.  It makes
you want to live.  It makes you want Belle and Sebastian.  It makes it all
make sense.  Well, maybe not.  Ahem.  Settles.  That’s it.  Damn, no space
to deconstruct what it all means…

Sinister Junior Reporter,

David Howie.

PS They've got a new track called: "Take Your Carriage Clock and Shove It"
Teehee.