Sinister: Kid in the snow, way to go; it only happens once a year...

Kim kgirton at xxx.com
Mon Jan 1 23:12:01 GMT 2001

Hello, and Happy New Year, Sinisterees --
...From a lurker with the annoying habit of posting periodically so that she doesn't quite qualify as a full-on lurker, because she's never quite qualified as a full-on anything, and it'd be a shame to break the streak now...
   I know it's a bit late for a Happy New Year, because people tend to say "Happy New Year" before the actual New Year, just shuffling it off with the "Happy Holidays" generic greetings...  But I wanted to make sure that I wished everyone on the list a Happy New Year, and it's January 1st, so I still have until midnight before I'm technically sending relatively belated Happy New Year wishes.  At least, that's how I explained it to myself.  It probably makes no sense at all after being verbalized.
   To answer a recent opinion poll: my own "This Song Always Reminds Me of the New Year" song is Better Than Ezra's "This Time of Year."  I suppose it's actually about autumn and change and all the metaphorical content therein, but it's a beautiful song, and the December-to-January turnover makes me think about change more than autumn does.  Which may point to something askew in my thought patterns, but it wouldn't be surprising.  This year, though, I've been listening to a Beggar's Banquet compilation I got for Christmas from a friend (who happens to be my musical mentor and is the one who introduced me to Belle & Sebastian back in college -- there's the tie-in), and now 2001's song will always be Nigo's "Freediving."  Running a close second is The Black Watch's "Bring Me the Shears!" (on New Hamsphire's Saltwater Records, in case you care).  What a great song.
   Anyway, thank you all for brightening my days with your questions and stories and streams-of-consciousness writings, and for using words in your posts that I rarely hear in regular conversation, let alone use myself, which is always refreshing.
  Best wishes for the New Year to everyone!
  Back to straddling the precarious line between lurker and poster,
   Kim
"Music is just a handy way of
telling what's on your mind.
         No mind