Sinister: It's a jolly holiday with you, dear

Lucy Alder lucyalder at xxx.com
Thu Jan 4 18:39:48 GMT 2001

Big Stu wrote

Still, we even got some proper snow a few
> days later (complete with the usual stories on the news about how the
> South
> was brought to a standstill by half an inch of snow, without mentioning
> that
> up North life went on as usual despite their being feet of the stuff.
> Southern wussies...)

Grrrr!  GRRRRRRR!  GGGRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!  Wussies?  My lovely
London cabbie got me to Stansted on time, in spite of closed motorways,
crashes and general skiddiness on the roads, but the fecking Scots
couldn't manage to send a plane for me to get on for a whole ten hours!
TEN HOURS!  Southern wussies indeed?  I read the paper, I finished my
book, I beat my top score on Nokia Snake, I ate chocolate, I hovered
around the internet cafe waiting for an end to their service outage so I
could go in chat (it remained closed all day) and I got very, very, very,
very bored, I ate more chocolate.  Hrumph.

I made it up there in the end though, so here are the obligatory hellos to
fecking Scots and others:  Neil and Ailsa (thank you for staying in the
pub with until I arrived), Mark and Vicky (thank you for not snowballing
me) and Crazy Calumn.  Also Gav 'n' Jo, who might see this Yoko the cat
who won't.  Unfortunately, I seem to have returned to London on the day
that Carey, Ree, Martin, Julie and Phil went to Scotland but maybe I'll
see some of you when you come back.

Snow does lovely things, doesn't it?  As the sun began to set on Friday,
we were climbing up to the top of the Necropolis and looking out across
Glasgow.  Yellow light glimmered on the faces of the tombstones and the
snow grew rosy.  I took far too many photographs.  We saw far too many
other people taking photographs.  I did not fall on my arse on the way
back down.

Of course, by New Year's Eve, a thick, brown sludge had replaced the
powdery whiteness and sharp edges emerged from soft contours, as always
happens in the end.  It rained and I got wet and started sneezing
uncontrollably (I'm still at it four days later), but it didn't matter
because we ate Jelly Bellies and recreated Baxendale songs and made the
floor shake when we danced and sang along with the Proclaimers on telly
and text messaged and painted the boys' nails and and stayed up all night.
 I think I might have said that I'll do karaoke next time I go to Glasgow.
 Oh dear.  The next day was spent in bed, watching Mary Poppins and
polishing off a box of Celebrations, which is about the best possible way
you could spend New Year's Day, don't you think?

Oh dear, I really don't like coming back to work in January.

Juicy Lucy