Sinister: Influenza: a dirge for accordion and vinegar

Will Porter porterww at xxx.edu
Fri Jan 5 22:26:52 GMT 2001

Alright, it's like this, see:
Lisa (I think it was one of them anyway) said something ages ago and I'm
only just now getting around to having something to say about it.  It was
something about boys and hangovers and how the former should come with
their own distinct brand of giddiness and intensity and all that, the
inevitable pasing of which leaves one gasping and throbbing--perhaps even
a little swollen--in the throes of the latter.
Either one of the Lisas said it or someone else said it or I made it up
entirely, but that's what I'm talking about (I'd look it up, but you'd be
amazed by the sheer volume of results one gets when searching the
archives for "boys" and/or "hangover".  It's a wonder anything else gets
discussed around here).
Now then:
It's an interesting notion in a series of steps:
1. a furious passion that sits in your belly and wakes you at intervals
and won't let you not feel a little like you're going to explode.
2. a briefly soaring satisfaction (no, satisfaction is too commonplace...
maybe rapture)
3. an extended black-eyed aching

This peaks-and-valleys business is not lost on me; it is my opinion that
contrast and loss are responsible for (respectively) vividness and
posession in a kind of Wallace Stevensy sort of way.  But I'm losing my
tolerance for hurting, and I've never packed much punch, myself, as far as
inducing the wingless flight that I'm (quite uneffectively) talking
about.  Being a boy, I mean.  And not being particularly propulsive as far
as lofty metaphorical heights go.  Which is why I started talking about
this in the first place.

I guess I really haven't got a point about that.

Things have changed since last time I wrote.  I live in New York now.  I'm
an actual librarian instead of an aspiring one.  I am glad to be out of
Texas.  I am not so glad to have left Oregon again, though that is not to
say I am unhappy in New York.

I was listening to _Memories of Love_ last night, and I had forgotten that
"The You You Never Knew" even existed and it surprised me in a very
pleasant sort of way.

As for belle and sebastian, it has been only about 18 months since I first
heard them (about 17 and a half months since I owned everything they'd
ever put out), but I don't think I've ever managed to not be surprised by
them on a single listening since, as I found out again (I discover it
every time) just the other day.

Sweet dreams,

Will Porter