Sinister: a mile and half on a train takes a long time

Sunset . sunnie_set at xxx.com
Sat Jan 6 11:42:58 GMT 2001

So, I'm sitting on a train packed full of people "rallying round". Snow sits
on the ground and the train being the sensitive type is feeling unwell and
does not wish to move just now.

This is the third time it has stopped. Lancaster station at 7.00 in the
evening is not particulary intersting place to be. Especially not for two
hours.

People are generally bemused, offering round squashed sandwichs, cans of
warm beer and taking advantage of the complimentary tea and coffee.
I am fiddling with my walkman. It doesn't work. I study my collection of
carefully recorded B&S albums and EPs mournfully. Sequentially trying to
remeber the words and tune in my head. It passes the time.

Opposite me sit an oldish couple, surrounded by bags and coats, who tell me
about their previous journey to their daughters. "the train was on time all
the way..." They proceed to list each station along the route correcting one
another until they return to doing the crossword puzzle.

Next to me sits a girl with a nut allergy. She has a walkman on. It seems to
be working.

My bag rings, or rather my mobile rings, I hadn't realised it was switched
on.  My bag is  lodged between other cases above my head. I am stuck in the
inside seat sandwiched between old couples and girls with nut allergies.
Other people don't know who the phone belongs to so I let i ring.

I look around the carriage for the owner of the annoying phone. but I think
the redness in my cheeks could be enough to convict me. The commuter type
man behind me complains loudly about the phone. I am thankful to him becuase
people now look knowingly towards him and my red cheeks remain unnoticed.

By some miracle the train moves forward once more. People cheer reservedly.
My walkman still refuses to work...

Ok that was my first post and stuff...