Sinister: ViRuS AleRt!

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Tue Jan 16 12:58:02 GMT 2001

Have to follow this up quickly.  People mean well when they send on
virus warnings but please bear in mind most are hoaxes.  That's why the
FAQ says contact me first if you have received one and want to tell
others.  The Girl Thing, California IBM and Buddly SIP virus warnings
are hoaxes, pointless mails started off by people with nothing better
to do with their time than prey on others.  The Emmanuel virus is a
real virus, but if you get it you'll know about it very quickly.

I've made sure the Sinister list software in principle won't pass on
viruses, so you shouldn't get infected by any mail from this list (or
at least those known so far).  In general don't open attachments to
mails you receive that you don't trust 100% - contact someone else to
ask if unsure.  When you receive a virus "warning", go to
http://www.google.com or a similar search engine and type in the name
of the virus in double quotes and the word "virus" and maybe "hoax" (so
in this case:  "girl thing" virus hoax).  The links you find should
tell you within seconds whether this is a hoax or not.  It constantly
amazes me how large IT departments don't do this, and pass hoaxes on to
all their users.  And yet they get paid more than you or me.

If you passed this warning on to others, mail them back now and ask
them not to pass it on.  If you receive more virus warnings, don't
send them to the list, send to me if you want me to check.

A couple of other things.  Whenever I remind people of the list
guidelines at:

	http://www.missprint.org/sinister/faq.html

someone tells me I'm picking on them and being mean.  I'm not!  But
please re-read them if you haven't properly before.  They were
arrived at after some dark times on the list when it nearly died, and
a lot of kind people contributed ideas about how to help.  Like the
Book of Love, they're long and boring.  But posting to the list is a
way of saying "I read them and agree".

Some people might get a little upset if I mention specific rules, and I
don't mean harm!  But please, if you have test messages, one line
replies, jokes etc. to send to the list think again.  Those who have
done so I love dearly so please don't hate me, I'm just being mum!  If
you look in the archives you'll probably see I'm a sinner too.  But we
have to keep a focus with the list, keep it readable, so you all stay.
It's the biggest most stable list I know, and it's because you all keep
caring about it.

The golden rule is to think before you post.  Imagine how the list
would be if the 1400 people here sent in similar posts to yours,
imagine if you'd stay.  See how other people in general act on the
list, and look in the archives and see when it's been strongest and
why.  If you post a lot, hold back a little to let the quieter ones
speak.  If you hardly dare post, post now! we probably want to hear
you most.  Sinister Likes New People.

This is a mailing list about people who like Belle and Sebastian.  It's
a very complicated balance, but you get the picture.

Finally if you haven't yet bought the LP by International Airport on
the new Glasgow based Geographic label, do so now.  I might make it a
list rule :)  Aunt Sadie has this to say about it:

<auntsadie> well, International Airport is like cuddling up and
sleeping under a big pile of leaves forever, with Appendix Out and the
Pastels, although not sexually

This is a true statement.  I'd unreservedly recommend the LP if I
wasn't sure that some of you don't like utterly shambolic meanderings,
and I've mentioned Appendix Out on the list before to little effect.
But I do love them so, it's sort of an obsession of mine :)

If you don't know who Aunt Sadie is, you need to visit the #sinister
chatroom.  I should also mention finally (pant pant) that the chat room
servers internationally are having a lot of trouble right now (from
Romanian hackers, believe it or not) and if anyone's having trouble
connecting they can contact me if they can wait a little for a
response.  #sinister is making it's own arrangements while the
instability lasts, and things should be better soon.  There's some talk
of moving to other servers, but right now I'd beg patience.

Sorry about the lack of movement on the Sillustrations idea: if you
too want to take part, send in pictures NOW!  Yes, I let the deadline
slip badly, sorry.  Too much chocolate at Christmas.  If you don't
know what Sillustrations are, search for them in the archive: if you
can draw, you may want to take part.  Shhh Honey.

I always get in trouble for these mail, please be gentle...
Honey xxx