Sinister: falling on 17th street

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Tue Jan 16 20:57:55 GMT 2001

ALIVE IN PLACES WHERE THEY SAY IT'S EASIER TO DIE

I didn't once know, I once didn't know, once I didn't know, that New York
used to be the capital of the USA. Did you? Of course you did, you're
American. Like 'blue jeans and chinos'. As the Face put it in June 1989,
'Holly Would'.

FOR A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DAYS

C19 New York had this character called Washington Irving after whom Irving
place, but not Washington Square, is named. You can see his portrait in the
'Met', an awfully vague three-letter appellation with so many other
applications. Edna Welthorpe would be interested to hear about the geezer
Irving and his 'knickerbocker group', who sounded to me like forerunners of
Myles nagCopaleen, and thus - 'natch', as they say in Gramercy - of Perelman
and Barthelme. Or rather, you would think that La Welthorpe would be
interested, but she isn't. Welthorpe was once, I recall, interested in - was
it? - Edward Gorey, who is also commemorated some way or other somewhere
over there. Not the same, of course, as S&G's 'Richard Corey'.

AND THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A BLIZZARD

C19 New York was also called 'The Great Emporium'. I am not quite clear why,
or why New York State should be the Empire State at all. New Yorkers don't
know either. Do they?

IT'S A SKETCHY AFFAIR

Barnes&Noble on, um, 5thAvenue and 18th(?)Street claims to be The World's
Biggest Bookstore. It may be the world's biggest Bookstore, but I'm sure it
isn't the world's biggest bookshop. For one thing, I didn't find it that
big. For another, I didn't find it that good. The one really notable thing I
saw there was a bunch of copies of a Hugh Kenner volume I'd never even heard
of, The Elsewhere Community, which sounds halfway to essential before he
'pegs it'. Believe it or not, Kenner has embraced the net and its own
'elsewhere communities', and he says so plain enough in this new little
tome. He's not such an old curmudgeon after all. That's *my* job.

ENOUGH TO START COLLISIONS

Yanks make out that they drink loads of coffee, but they don't. The English
think that they (we) drink a lot of tea, but actually the Yanks are
tea-obsessed. It's practically a Wildean inversion.

AND BARS AND STARS AND STUFF

In chickfactor#10 "Stephin" 'Merritt', who is a journalist for the
Independent on Sunday, flatly declared - I won't say '*roundly* declared' -
that he didn't have a kitchen. I always thought this a whim as absurd as
saying 'I don't have a front door', or 'My house doesn't have walls'. But
it's actually *true*. They don't have kitchens in New York, save - one has
to assume in the restaurants.

THAT'S WHERE WE ALWAYS GO

Lloyd Cole sings on 'The Paranoids' - sorry, 'The Polaroids' - oops! I mean,
'The Negatives' - 'You gave me a smile / Got off at Astor Place'. I know for
a fact that that line has been misheard, but no matter. I went to find out
what LC was on about. There are two Starbucks outlets in Astor Place. Two!
And it's not that big a road. And all this when the Yanks don't drink coffee
anyway.

AND TIMES SQUARE, YOU'RE NOT UGLY ANYMORE

Knitwear is very important.
Said that.

I SUPPOSE I'M GOING OVER

Who would think of taking a bomb to the top of the World Trade Centre, until
the idea had been planted in their head by polite guards demanding their
baggage and overcoats at the foot of the building? I nearly wrote a song
about it. But that 'bomb' thing has been kind of done to death in pop,
hasn't it? Remember Bragg: 'I used to want to plant bombs / At the last
night of the Proms'. And don't remember Kingmaker, please, really, don't.

SHE KEEPS HER HELLOS AND GOODBYES MINIMAL

Folk in New York have heard of la Welthorpe, by the way. But they can't put
a face to the name. Can you?

OR RIFLED THROUGH THE TELEPHONE BOOK

I bet that folks will leap to agree with me if I say that strangers in New
York - random characters on the subway and in the shops - are friendlier
than round these parts. This one lady pleasantly bawled at me not to me to
leave my wallet on a counter. And you would not believe - you really would
not believe - how strangers, sane enough people as far as one can tell, will
come out with nice comments about your *clothes* over there.

AND THE PEN'S ABOUT TO DIE