Sinister: Message from our South American correspondent...

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 17 15:06:54 GMT 2001

<anal retentive>

Lee said:

>The Incas used to chew cocoa leaves for stamina whilst running the high
>mountains of the Andes.

Erm, well, close. They use coca leaves, the stuff cocaine is made out of.
They're still used today - they're great for combatting altitude sickness
when you're walking the Inca Trail. And they make coca tea out of them,
which is quite nice, actually.

</anal retentive>

If there were any B&S gigs this year, who would play the bass? Neil
Robertson? A 'guest' from another band?

OK, Controversial statement: I reckon B&S will only start doing more (any?)
gigs if Isobel leaves. After all, she is always the one who gets really
nervous beforehand and makes herself ill (didn't she puke up because she was
so nervous once? Or am I imagining things?). And when Stuart M smashed his
guitar at the Dublin gig, it was just after Bel had left the stage 2 songs
before the end for unexplained reasons. And they haven't done a gig since.
Of course, whether the band would even continue if she left is a different
matter entirely...

So she's finally admitted to getting up close and personal with Stuart M
then? Does that mean they're going to give up pretending that the sleeve
notes to Tigermilk are entirely fictional? And tell us which of their songs
are actually about their relationship? (leading candidates include Is It
Wicked Not To Care, Simple Thigs, and of course the song Belle and
Sebastian... More welcome...).

Well, that was all very deep, full of content, and completely
out-of-character for me, I think I should stick to talking about bras and
bars...

Big Stu

PS I do like the idea of using an iron to defrost the fridge. Coming soon,
using a vaccum cleaner to get things down from the top shelf, and how to use
a trouserpress to make a bacon butty.