Sinister: a one line joke virus warning foubling as a test message

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Thu Jan 18 00:33:58 GMT 2001

Little treasures,

A couple of follow-ups to things in the last day.  Amongst the
*sparkling* posts (may I say) of the last 24 hours I found:

Lawrence Mikkelsen said:
> I am getting fed up with spam (especially from some guy
> called Lowfly or Art Vortex who, unsolicitated, sends me big graphic
> attachments. Annoying .....

I thought I was the only one getting these.  Various addresses from
the ip.pt domain have been trying to send YOU all lots of advertising
mails for "LowFly records" and "ArtVortex" since September, and
taking no notice of my pleas for them to stop.  You haven't been
seeing them because I blocked them with the list software, but many
contained very big attachments (pictures and the like, not nudey,
unfortunately) which would be a real pain for slow modem users.  They
seem to originate from a particular user on the list who today is no
longer a listee and only ever tried to send an advert anyway.

If you've received them they'll be from addresses like: arnaldopedro at ip.pt,
lowfly at ip.pt, artvortex at ip.pt, agenda_lowfly at ip.pt.

I'm pretty horrified to hear that he, or they, have been sending this
junk individually to list members too.  If you've been getting them
too, please don't send me a mail expecting a response because I'm
waterlogged with email, but send me a blank email with "junk email from
ip.pt" in the Subject so I know and can report this.  I get really
*really* angry at this sort of abuse of the goodwill of all you post
and *don't* try and sell the rest of us things, apart from your bodies
of course.  Particularly as Miss Print is so adamantly anti-adverts and
all such commercial tartiness.  One of these days I'm going to put up a
banner ad or popup window on the Sinister site to shock you all.  Just
for a day :)

If anyone wants to see my grumpy mail to the ISP who host these
cowboys, just to prove I CARE!, go to:

http://www.missprint.org/sinister/ip.pt.txt

It's not very interesting reading though.  I received an auto-response
saying they take this kind of thing seriously and will act, so we'll
see.

Needless to say, never *ever* buy anything from LowFly records.

Lawrence also said:
> My sneaking suspicion is that the band has, for all intents and purposes,
> broken up.

As a few people have said recently, they've been in the recording
studio!  And are at the moment I think.  Word has it they're recording
two singles, but even undressing and running naked round Neil Mr
Manager Sir from Banchory in the chatroom wouldn't extract the names of
said songs.  I can however, exclusively reveal, that one of the new
songs is a sort of "prog-rock version of 'Lipstick, Powder and Paint'"
and none contain "1991-style indie pseudo-dub bass".  Such are the
vaguaries of chat-room conversation.  Oh, and Mick is playing bass, at
least in the studio.  Apparently if you're a fan of Petula Clark, you
won't be disappointed.  Peter?

As to all the "they're so lazy" talk, I can't help wondering if anyone
would riot if a Jean-Paul Sartre decided to spend 2001 on a beach.
Because he wanted to.

Honey x