Sinister: hiding in the tall grass, waiting

Greg Hatmaker gregh at xxx.net
Fri Jan 19 08:31:09 GMT 2001

She knew I liked stories. I took a rest from telling them and stopped to
listen a bit. I feel old here. And she, well, she is just ancient in
comparison. But as one of you noticed, she looks young for her age (a
curious compliment). She could Mrs. Robinson any of you boys (if only any
of you were so lucky).

"Heroin and rain," she said, "grey, lovely rain." I remember. The land here
remembers. Its tongue hangs like a dry axolotl. I drive past the fire
station every day and am reminded that I live here at my own "moderate",
now turned into a "severe" risk.

Of course, she hoped that I would like Belle and Sebastian. In her
enthusiasm, however...

And so I joined this list without ever hearing a single B&S tune. The
important thing to her, of course, was to share...and that regardless of
any eventuality, I would be here. And so here I am (playing with matches at
my own "severe" risk).

She had a few things to go on, though. It wasn't a blind shot in the dark.
When she was sending me snippets of your stories and of your thoughts, she
knew that she had scored hits with me before...first with her poems and the
way she cast her eyes downwards to a black page with grey letters and
ghostly x-rayed flowers, the simplicity, elegance, charmteaseandbite of her
web-self, then later with Lush, The Cocteau Twins, and Cinerama...and of
course, we already shared The Church with each other (new album out April
24th, After Everything, buy it). Oh, and if any of you recognize me from
the other list--I am not a refugee, and I am sorry to have followed you
here. But you see, it wasn't you I followed.

Cinerama was close, but it was no guarantee. So, she folded her hands and
waited. No, she didn't. She took straightaway to the stores and shops in
search of something to send me and settled on Tigermilk. The days passed
and I was closer to being let out of the nursery. I wondered what I would
say to all of you. There was a certain wickedness to my thoughts, thinking
about how I'd shrug my shoulders and say, "B&S? Never heard 'em. Can I
still play in your reindeer games?" I wondered if Honey would stuff me back
into my cheap box.

My xmas present arrived just a few days before Honey let me out. I heard
the first song and thought of Don McLean and American Pie. I liked it. I
liked the rest of Tigermilk, especially any songs with the guy/girl vox.
Still have no idea what any of the words are. Right now I'm working on
getting down all the strum and the la la la. It's catchy. I can always go
to her website and keep clicking away at her random lyric generator,
memorize, then cut and paste the disparate words with all the la la la I'm
storing away in the secret places of my head.

At my convenience, I'll crack open Boy with the Arab Strap. Let me absorb
Tigermilk first, however, especially before sending all your suggestions.
Don't rush me. There's too much good stuff out there for me to be
exclusive...much in the same way some would think of boys, others with girls.

What follows has nothing to do with anything. Doesn't mean you can just
ignore it though.

pictures have been developed.
send you a selection
and