Sinister: And I used to be a citizen

Ian Nicolson imnicolson at xxx.com
Wed Jan 24 12:43:17 GMT 2001

Oh, goodness gracious. The computers at work (yeh, WORK. Or should that be
W!O!R!K!? No. It shouldn't. But it's not a proper job - it's just a wee
pretendy one that'll keep me going for a bit, before I leave in the summer
and go back to sleep) aren't working very well just now, so I've strolled
along to the big, evil corporate internet place during lunchtime so as not
to let the Sinister posts pile up to 70-odd as I did recently. During the
pre-job lost months I'd quite often while away a couple of hours here of an
afternoon, before perhaps taking a wander up to the cinema to pretend to be
dead clever and cultured and watch some arty movies (one of the highlights
of the past six months was seeing 'Through a Glass Darkly' in the pictures
Maybe not Bergman's best, but still...). Or meet friends in the pub. Or
maybe even just wander the streets and parks of Edinburgh. And I would
really, really love to do something like that right now. Working is pish.
How could I have forgotten?

So anyways, Mike Hurst's producing the new single(s). This could be a good
thing, I think. Some of the more upbeat songs on the last album  could
really have done with a big 60s type production, but ended up sounding
somewhat weedy. I first thought this while listening to 'Saturday's Child'
by the Walker Brothers which, while it perhaps doesn't sound like a song off
that album as such, sounds like they should maybe have sounded - the big
Phil Spector type thing. The only problem is that I'm not sure that anyone
in Belle and Sebastian has the right type of voice to carry that kind of
thing off. But it seems as if maybe that's the sound they're going for, what
with hundreds of people in the studio and all. But maybe this is just a lot
of nonsense - the producer's style might have changed entirely. The new
single might be a techno number (is techno still a form of music? I get
confused.). And this entire paragraph probably all a big load of muso wank
anyway.

Disco-Go-Round Jen from Seattle drooled:
>I have concluded that Edinburgh has
>the most hunky boys per square mile than anywhere else
>I've been
Well, one can hardly disagree with that! Except perhaps the 'hunky' part.
Does looking a bit like Nick Cave count?

Ian N.