Sinister: Happy New Year!

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 24 15:07:24 GMT 2001

(Chinese, that is)

Well well, content seems to be all the rage at the moment, it won't last...

So has Tony Doogan been sacked then? Or is it just a temporary change of
producer? Maybe B&S decided that their last album wasn't really much kop
after all then. As in, nice as it was, it was more or less a
not-quite-as-good copy of Twattybus. Right down to "Women's Realm" being
almost a carbon-copy of the song "...Arab Strap", complete with handclaps.
They've always admitted to wanting a Motown sound, but the closest they've
ever got was on Dirty Dream #2. So if they think Mike Hurst will help them
achieve that, I'm with them all the way...

(Incidentally, am I the only one who initially misread his surname as being
'Hunt'? That would have made things far more interesting...)

Motown is still a sound well worth aiming for, it's been resposible for some
of the best pop songs of all time. Speaking of which; 10 songs which, love
them or loathe them, are undeniably Perfect P!O!P! moments;
All Saints - Pure Shores
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
Diana Ross & The Supremes - The Happening
Frances Nero - Out On The Floor
Lightning Seeds - Life Of Riley
Marvin Gaye - Heard It Through The Grapevine
Robbie Williams - Angels
Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
The Monkees - Daydream Believer
The Temptations - My Girl

Mind you, most of you will have realised by now that my opinions aren't
worth the paper they're written on. So when they're emailed, they must be
worth even less. After all, I still believe the best Australian band at the
moment isn't The Go-Betweens or The Lucksmiths, because The Whitlams are
much better.

Big Stu

PS It's normally about this time of year that everyone on the list starts
complaining about Valentine's Day, and how they never get any cards. So I
thought I'd get in there first.