Sinister: new B&S stuff, Jeff Buckley's mother and "Prince Caspian"

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Thu Jan 25 08:21:54 GMT 2001

off sick from work today .... migrane. mmmm .... head pain.

Anyway, time to muse over a few things, inbetween spells of blinding pain.

***NEW B&S STUFF***
Two things strike me as good.
Note that on the band's site it says the band will hopefully release the
songs as *singles*. Plural. It would be nice if they rpeated their summer
'97 thing, and released three or four non-album singles or EPs this year.
Here's hoping. (AND FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE PUT "The Loneliness of a Middle
Distance Runner" OUT SOON!)

Secondly, keen-eyed readers will remember someone (can't remember who)
mentioning he ran into band members at a Go-Betweens concert in New York,
who were there for a reason he couldn't really discuss.

I say SPILL THE BEANS! I can only assume this was the film soundtrack thing.
Hal Hartley is based in New York ... so putting two and two together .....
OK, it's a strong lead, anyway. I wounder if it will be an instrumental
score, or actual songs. Or a combination of the two ....

***SPEAKING OF WHICH***
Wasn't Air's "The Virgin Suicides" s/t one of the best albums of the year?
Course it was.
Can't wait for their new album.

and onto ....
***JEFF BUCKLEY'S MOTHER***
(Motto: "I'm the new Metallica")
I've been a Jeff Buckley fan for ages, and missing his obnly Auckland gig is
a source of heartbreak for me. Oh well. Anyway, the insideous control with
which she has taken control of his legacy frightens me a little. I have been
subscribing to the JBIN e-mail neweletter for a while now, but unsubscribed
a week or so ago as I found it's tone was getting more and more annoying. I
don't like how she (Mary G, his mother) get's "fan" letters, and I certainly
object to her stance on Napster, getting people kicked off for trafding
unreleased Jeff songs. Personally (and here we delve deep into 'Lawrence's
personal opinion) I *think* Jeff would have LOVED Napster, being such an
obsessive music fan. I'm sure he would have relished the opportunity to find
alternate live readings of songs by Nusrat Ali Fakan, The Smiths, Led Zep
etc. But then he dies in a stupid accident, and suddenly he mother, with
whom I believe ghe had a fairly major falling out with just before his
death, decides people shouldn't trade his songs because he felt "religiously
protective" of them.

I don't know .... it just kinda gets to me. I mean, it's not like he's
losing out finacially because of it, because .... well, he's dead. All the
obsessive Buckley fans I know have all of his stuff.

Anyway, I could go on for ages about this .......

***NARNIA***
After my headache went away I read "Prince Caspian". Brilliant.
I also read the stuff on the Looper site. I've pre ordered the book, but
wonder how much I'll like it. As another listee pointed out, *way* too much
swearing. Not even clever swearing, which is tolerable, but just swearing
for the sake of it.

I could put some here to make the point .......

But I can't be bothered, and my spell checker will just try and make me
chane it to "funk" and "count" or something ....... (Bloody Bill Gates)

Well, once more unto the bed.

Stay beautiful, B&S community.

Lawrence Mikkelsen

PS - for those of you interested enough to wonder how my first gym sesion
went, I can say only "I can't feel my knees"