Sinister: What's Behind Mike Hurst's Green Door?

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Jan 25 10:33:48 GMT 2001

I wouldn't call The Springfields Dusty Springfield's backing band either.
I'd call them nigger, whitey. My spies tell me that Mike Hurst has been
involved with both Shakin' Stevens (a big influence on Stevie Reverb's
ever-expanding twang) and yes, you guessed it, Showaddywaddy. Strange that
the band spokesperson didn't mention that. They have been airbrushed out of
history.

I wouldn't call "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" a perfect pop moment
either, in the same way that I wouldn't call JESUS getting crucified a
perfect pop moment. Nothing that heavy can be a perfect pop moment. I
suppose it depends on our definition of pop. Which brings us right back to
the very beginning of The Story of Sinister. I would call it perfect though.
Perhaps Big Stu was referring to a jolly remix.

I think it's unfair to compare Peacock with Begbie because Begbie lived in
Edinburgh and Stuart David's Begbie lives in Glasgow.

Yesterday was a big day for me. I heard a bit of "69 Love Songs" on a
listening post. It was absolutely fucking awful, every bit as bad as I
expected.

I don't half fancy Jeff Buckley's mum.

Peter