Sinister: Further more than a pocket novel

Arantxa Sanz pcxas at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 29 15:49:14 GMT 2001

Dear all:

I join the ranks of those what had confessed not having listened to Belle
and Sebastian for a while.With the exception of just playing FHYCLAP
partially,that is, as if my hifi had a track-three detector instead of
four word one,and stopping at track six again.

But last night I went to bed with 'Beautiful'.
Wondering again why Lisa got blind and not deaf,why blindness
feature so often in Stuart's lyrics,had I been blind recently too? I
got to play 'Dog in Wheels' EP and fell awestruck into 'The State I am in'
again.I know Peter Miller would absolutely hate this,but its somehow
uncomprehensible story might make a fantastic Hal Hartley script.Also a
Kaurismaki one.Or a Bresson even.Sinners on the way to
redemption marrying Eastern child brides holding a
resemblance with Carol Baker/Baby Doll,dysfunctional families and a
compulsive listener who became
a priest to have access to people's broken homes and hearts,taking notes
non-stop behind the counter.It would get away with any amount of squalor
spilled over its lines thanks to that splendid crescendo that makes one
to leave the house and run and run and run just for the sake of
it.Millions of times more inspiring than a high-tech sports gear ad.

So,Alexander provided me with an alibi to plug my rediscovery.The
plot of that German film has left me a bit down,however.After reading
recently that Ulrikka Meinhoff (sorry about the spelling)lived in fear not
to score high enough as a mother nor as a terrorist, I could not help
picturing a remix of 'The Soprano'and 'Ally McBeal' based on a radical
Maoist organisation where children are not allowed to play Monopoly under
any circumstances, and mums worry if they will be back in time for the
dentist appointment after blowing up some police constabulary.All very
late 70s/early 80s,display of knitting magazines with instructions for
cute crocheted balaclavas on the sofas,and confiscated Argentinian team
football t-shirts because they were playing for the enemy.

Or perhaps this mess is inspiring enough for Mr Murdoch to give us back
some 'The (People's)State strikes back',hopefully.

In need of more of such songs

Arantxa