Sinister: if everyone is...

Toadie29 at xxx.com Toadie29 at xxx.com
Tue Jan 30 15:32:31 GMT 2001

In a message dated 1/30/01 3:47:02 AM, AWillia at bordersgroupinc.com writes:

<<

People have been saying that "X" will destroy the music industry for time

immemorial, and guess what, it ain't happening. I'm not saying we should be

complacent, or take for granted the beautiful music that's being made at the

moment, but Napster isn't hurting anybody other than bands who rip off their

fans by charging too much for their products or releasing shoddy material

which isn't worth paying for.

here i am from lurkerdom.  i am sort of in the middle of both sides of the
napster argument.  i mean, while i can see how people would want to hear
rarities and all, there are only sooooo many versions of one song you can
here without it getting redundant.   and as for napster ruining music.  well,
this is actually the first time the music industry was in any type of
jeapordy.  and that isnt to say that it is soley the fault of napster and
similar mp3 sites, it is just the reality of our world.  in the past 3 or 4 ye
ars some of the biggest record companies have been bought, sold, forced into
monopolistic mergers and just plain run out of business.  people dont spend
money on music the way they used to.  and unfortunately, record companies are
a sort of neccessary evil.   they allow the musicians we love to do what they
do.  as for bands ripping off their fans for music which isnt worth paying
for.  i suppose that would be relative to how you felt about said band.  for
example, a band that i would pay 50 quid for a rare cd by, many of you would
not even consider worthy of downloading on napster.  so even though you may
feel brittney spears is ripping off her fans by charging £20 for a pillow
with her lovely face on the front, those who are buying the merchandise dont
look at it that way.  does that make sense.  oh well.  i shall shut up now as
i could go on about this subject for days.  :o)  talk to y'all soon.
~stine