Sinister: Home Downloading Is Killing Home Taping Is Killing Music

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Tue Jan 30 16:53:06 GMT 2001

Dear Sinister,
	Odd we've never discussed this before. Isabel you seem to be
quoting posts which I did not receive without actually quoting them
in your letters, so if someone has taken this tack I apologize but it
didn't make it to my inbox. But I think you can draw a nice bundle of
parallels between Napster and our old friend the Cassette.
	Both of them give us a capacity we did not have prior to
their inception. Cassettes allowed us to make custom mixes for
friends, thereby exposing them to new music and encouraging them to
spend more money. Yayyyy capitalism. Napster allows us to test out
tracks by bands we're curious about before we consider spending money
on them. Cassettes allowed us to make copies of recordings which were
not made available to the general public. Napster does also.
	Both can be abused. Some people have been known to copy
entire albums on cassette. In fact the record industry once feared
that this would spell its demise. Yes someone needs to buy an album
before they can copy it onto a cassette first, but MP3s need a CD to
be ripped from in order to be made just as cassettes need a source.
Perhaps Napster is a more convincing because it is closer to hi-fi
and it's easier and quicker.
	Okay, and some rumor control. Warner Brothers did *not* buy
out Napster. Napster already entered into an agreement with
Bertelsmann, so Warner would probably have to buy them out in order
to do this. Napster *is* planning on switching to a fee-based service
as early as Summer, and I for one am willing to pay if they have a
fair system of paying artists whose songs are downloaded.
	Peer-to-peer file-sharing as a distribution for music is not
going to go away, even if Napster does. I'm not trying to say CDs
will be irrelevant anytime soon, but Napster or its possible
successors will be around, and in the end they will not be free. The
music industry had a record year last year, people *are* spending
money on music like they used to. More than they used to even. In a
high-bandwidth world, a free Napster would definately affect some
bottom lines, but more likely than not the same 5 labels will be
present in whatever final form Napster or its successor takes. I just
hope the consumer doesn't get screwed in the process, like they
usually do. The consumer and artists certainly stand a good chance of
coming out ahead.
	Incidentally, to anyone who's tried unsuccessfully to
download B&S rarities from me, please be patient. I apologize for my
slow connection, but it's the best I can offer without fear of legal
reprisal.

--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | ICQ# 39021436
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>