Sinister: if everyone is...

Jason McKinnon megatherion5 at xxx.com
Tue Jan 30 16:58:52 GMT 2001

IsabelLark said,"i wonder how bands really feel about people downloading
their music at no costs."

Well, speaking as a person who makes music and has been in and out of the
industry. (and I think I'm not quite alone in those aspects here on the
list), I would say that most musicians I've talked to are welcoming the
change that Napster is bringing to the bloated record industry. Yes....even
(quote unquote)indie rock! (whatever that means anymore!)Most bands do not
make money off record sales. The money is in publishing rights and
merchandizing.

1)MP3 swapping has broadened most people's range of musical taste.

2)Mp3 swapping is changing the way we think about art and music. More flow
instead of commodity.

3)If you really want to get righteous, information and art should always be
free. If you are making music for music's sake, then the more people that
listen to it, the effect the songs have on music in general and the
expurgation of that music from your soul will be reward enough.

Anything else is just extra!

ThePicklePrince