No subject

dougal shaw dougalshaw at xxx.com
Tue Jan 30 22:00:51 GMT 2001

either

'I think Napster's great', said Bono on an MTV video, 'popstars like myself
are vastly overpaid'. What false magnaminity from the mouth of the jumped up
Gaelic-rock millionaire. If he was unsuccessful, impoverished  and just
starting out his views would be  the same as Lars Ulrich, the uber-Napster
enemy. Intellectual property is a public good, that's why it was created, to
create the conditions for diversity and individual endeavour and creativity
to flourish. If
people don't get the reward and recognition for their artistic
achievements(which means financial reward as well), the music won't happen.
(except for purists like Belle and Sebastian, who don't mind keeping music
amateur, and working part-time as Church Janitors a la Stuart - would like
to see Bono doing that).

or

People will always have the same disposable income to spend on music, so
people will access more music through Napster and the record industry will
get the same money into its coffers somehow. This is good. Also, people will
still desire the object. In the late 1920's when folk music was first put to
acetate, it was assumed nobody would buy the music  because it was
there in the oral tradition around them. Until the Depression kicked in,
shedloads (literally) of records were sold, because hicks, like all of us,
are enamoured with the
physical object - thus commodity fetishism was born and the record industry
baptised. Personally, I feel the same desire. I can't help buying CDs on
sale, even when I know I've got the tracks on my hardrive. As for becoming
offended when 'hoity-toity' (presumably this is an American term, like
valley girl) people deign to like the same music in public, that's an awful
attitude. It's like music is a religious sect and they are false-believers
or something. There's nothing wrong with elitism in musical preference, but
everything wrong with intolerance.