Sinister: Snob? Moi?

Ian Long ian_pompy at xxx.com
Wed Jan 31 19:47:13 GMT 2001

On the subject of being a music snob,  I must say in
my youth I was in fact a music fascist.  And my, it
was  fun.  Whilst in school and college, and to a
lesser extent Uni, I felt good that I knew about bands
no-one had heard of except me.  It was a good way of
feeling superior to the people who bullied me, pushed
me around and made the first few years of my
educational life hell.  You see, they could never
understand or appreciate the music like I could,  'cos
I was great and deep and intelligent.  And they were
shit.  And when my fave, underground bands went top
ten, god how I hated it.  Damn sell outs.  And how
could all those normal people dare to like my
favourite bands.  HOW DARE THEY!?!?!?!?  Oh, I used to
get so angry.
But that was then and this is now.  And as I have got
older, I have realised that it is pointless and does
no real good in the long run.  Now to atone for my
past sins,  I try and force people to listen to B+S,
Super Furry Animals etc.  And I rejoice when the music
I love reaches a wider audience.  So I may still be a
snob (Toploader? Pah, I'd rather die!), |I have
realised liking obscure bands doesn't make me better
than anyone else.  It just means I have better taste.

Cheers for reading,
Ian

"I heard that rumour.  I know, I started it."