Sinister: never mind napster

dougal shaw dougalshaw at xxx.com
Wed Jan 31 20:39:24 GMT 2001

never mind napster, I think the whole internet idea and mailing lists is a
decadent one. I remember the good old days when pen-pals wrote to each other
in pen and ink, on paper, we had to walk miles to the stationery shop, and
then miles to the post office to deliver the letter. You could only
communicate with one or two people and you had to wait for days for a
response - gave you time to consider your replies though I can tell you.
Sure it was hard, but the inconvenience and the time spent meant the content
of the letters was so much more heartfelt, worthwhile and sincere - sorry to
be a 'letters' snob, but I am. I can't stand it when people boast in public
how they've sent 'a quick e-mail' - shallow, vacous fools, they don't know
the solemn dignity of the old pen and paper for people who 'really mean it
man'.

"[someone said] something about intolerance...well, what have you shown me?"

It would be inconsistent for a tolerant person to tolerate an intolerant
one. That's the point of tolerance and liberalism. America as I understand
it is founded on these principles - pre-Bush inaugural at least.