Sinister: All Talk, Not Much to Say

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Mon Jul 2 23:46:39 BST 2001

Hi All,

I don't know anything about The Go-Betweens & suspect Shoot The Sexual
Athlete to be replete with G-B's references. Someone In The Know should
enlighten us all. Where is 96 when you really need him? Come on Cookie, fill
us in.

"TURN THAT ORGAN UP"
Hmmmmm, what hasn't been said already on the subject of the RAH gig? It
didn't impress as much as Saturday in Glasgow, but I know that is my fault &
in now way the band's. I had to rush to Kensington from an upsetting day at
work centred on going to say farewell to the 3 staff I had had to make
redundant. I was gabbling on about writing them excellent references (I
*can* write good references - I made a bloke cry once with what I said about
him. He *was* a lovely feller though) & how they could ring me if they had a
problem, & there they were being really sweet telling me to look after
myself & not work too hard! They don't have a job at all today!

Anyway, where was I? Therefore I didn't really get into it until about
halfway through. The latter part of the setlist ran thus:

The Final Countdown (Europe cover - instrumental)
The State I Am In
Simple Things
The Boy With The Arab Strap
We Rule The School
Family Tree
Mayfly
I Love My Car
The Wrong Girl
Woman's Realm
Legal Man
Lazy Line Painter Jane
Everyday People (Arrested Development cover)

What else can I remember that hasn't been covered already? I think Mick trod
on Isobel's toe at one point & then had problems with his flugelhorn during
one number (blocked?) He also played piano on one song towards the end.

Isobel's Dylan print dress/short cardie ensemble was cute. She did look very
hot & bothered & had to remove the cardigan towards the end of the set.

Well done to Lorraine, Florence & Dancing Boyfriend for their performance,
for not freezing when they looked up to see 3,000 people looking back at
them & to Florence for shouting "Sinister!" a couple of lines into the song.

Statler & Waldorf from The Muppets were played by Andy Symington & his
flatmate Sean.

Stuart was cross the Royal Box was empty & said they could have done a wee
Sex Pistols song for its occupants. Shame, I would have loved to hear him
sneer "We mean it, maaan"

Richard was enclosed in a little greenhouse. I can never see the labour
pains expressions as his face is always hidden by a cymbal from the right of
the stage.

Sarah plays the recorder with one hand during TBWTAS.

Belfast Bob plays the bass really hard: you can tell its him playing without
looking by that crunching sound.

Well done also to the RAH's security. I never had to show my ticket to
anyone: its probably still in my wallet. And we could take photos! (Or at
least Vicky did) I hope they come out alright.

Big Stu (or should we call you Loud?) - they played The Stones' "Dead
Flowers" after the gig finished on Saturday: was that the one from Preston?
Good song. I spent a long time wondering whatever got me into country music
in the first place but remembered recently that it was the Keef/Gram
link-up. BTW Neil, I don't know what *tape* Stu was on about. Really.

PICNIC IN THE PARK
Good idea to sit where you can enjoy the view (albeit more crowded than in
Turner's day) rather than in the Café garden behind the hedge. Saturday's
Picnic Mum is very clever (& organised: even bringing black bags for the
rubbish. A well brought-up girl)

Honey reckoned the two old ladies sitting on the bench behind us that she &
Vel chatted up were the stars of the event, but I think Lixi's brother Phin
might have been (before he keeled over). Shame on anyone who encouraged him
to drink too much for their own amusement.

The Pinefox & le Troussé debated music in masculine and feminine terms but P
F demanded fresh words. Later in The Spitz Katrina said she always thought
The Pinefox was a woman and Joe was pleased. Then he became a basket of
cobras when the DJ played The Smiths playing "Some Girls Are Bigger Than
Others". It wasn't the moment to ask him for his views on the decline in the
standard of Morrissey's lyrics that that track was supposed to epitomise.

"WHAT IS THIS SONG ABOUT?"
I thought Camera Obscura played an excellent set & the new songs sound good,
boding well for the album. Can't wait to hear the one that Gav sings in the
style of Stephen Pastel on record.

Jim Purple Trousers made me dance! And to bloody Legal Man as well.

Good thing I wasn't wearing killer shoes :)

LISTCRUSH
Props to the upright & true Carsmile Steve for reminding us of the correct
way of using the listcrush system: i.e.  give your crush on the basis of
well-written posts, so as to maintain an excellent standard, rather then
just to crush on those who you want to, er, who you fancy.

PEACOCK MAN
I stumbled into the Looper site recently & its changed again. Peacock
Johnson is writing the next album with Evil Bob. There was mention of a
Stuart David story appearing in Dazed & Confused: can anyone shed any more
light on this, please?

There's also a sweary message board at
http://www.geometrid.co.uk/disc3_frm.htm . Peacock would apparently do Belle
anytime. His thoughts on B&S:

"I've heard a couple of Belle and Sebastian records in my time, and I'll be
honest with you. As far as I'm concerned, son, there's fuck-all that could
save them. Let alone make them anywhere near great. If you added some
electronic noises all you'd end up with would be some limp-wristed
ham-fisted teenage wank, but with some electronic noises added. "

"Turn Looper into Belle and Sebastian you mean, son? Surely there's enough
of that limp-wristed wank about for gay fellows like yourself to chug
themselves off to?"

Bless.

I think that's more than enough for now.

Take care,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK