Sinister: Into your arms (of sex)

Madeleine McNeil mmcneil79 at xxx.com
Tue Jul 3 13:34:49 BST 2001

**B&S in Birmingham - Madeleine offers some advice**

Oh, Isobel, Isobel, what were you thinking, flower? Red, pointy-toe, kitten
heel sling-backs and black and white stripy ankle socks? Sack your, stylist,
woman and get yourself some sensible flip flops. Although I did admire your
skirt and top and no matter how large people say your arse it, it's still a
lot smaller than mine. But why were you yawning so much? Boredom or just
good old rock'n'roll exhaustion? Either way, you could at least have
*pretended* to be having a good time.

And Stuart. Stuart, Stuart, Stuart. Honey is right, you really do have arms
of sex. You in your tight white t-shirt and smart trousers (also, not sure
about the shoes, though) with your funky dancing. Your lovely Scottish
accent and your endearing lapses of memory. And you're such a tease! When
you pretended to take your shirt off..... oh my!

And Stevie, you're cute as a button, although you shouldn't fiddle with your
ears and glasses so much as it makes you look nervous. But your big deep
voice in Legal Man was very impressive and your singing in Jonathon David
was better than the record and everything.

You dancing girls.... what can I say? It was certainly the first time I've
ever seen people hand jiving to The Wrong Girl.

The rest of you: you were all right too.

It was a fantastic night, as James said in his earlier post. The theatre was
old fashioned and huge and had photos of luminaries of British theatre and
television: Peter Bowles, Edith and Rene from Allo Allo, Maureen Lipman,
Lionel Blair and various others who have had bit-parts (sorry, *cameos*) in
The Bill and Casualty.

Beer was horribly expensive and there was a smell of sweaty people in the
air. Sadly, people were not allowed to stand and have a little boogy. If
they tried, a lady in white shirt and black bowtie politely asked them to
"Sit the FUCK DOWN. RIGHT NOW!". Or something.

**I've just realised that James and Stuart have already posted about
this, so I won't bang on too much about it all**

The set list was:

Le Pastie
Too Much Love
A Peel song that I don't know the name of
I Know Where the Summer Goes
My Wandering Days are Over
Jonathod David
Slow Grafitti (which bought a tear to my eye is was so perfect)
The Model
The Girl's Got Miraculous Technique

Interlude: Heroes

Young Boy Smile (this is whst my notes say (?))
Twattybus
You Made Me Forget My Dreams
Family Tree
Mayfly
New Song
The Wrong Girl
- (can't read notes)
Legal Man

The sound was perfect and pure. I was expecting it to be a bit dodgy, as
things are when played live, but the quality was often better than the
studio recordings. It delved into your chest (and don't even think of
putting your innuendo hat on, ken) and tugged on heart strings and stomach
lining and made my face tingle with the purity of it all.

Sorry this is so long. Well done for getting this far.

Big shouts out and nuff respec to Stu, who at under 8 ft was something of a
disappointment (ken.... don't even think about it!). He made me giggle and
drove us all home which was amazingly kind of him. James, who is too cool to
ever be afraid of a snake and really should have been allowed to strut his
stuff in the aisles. And Danny and Dale, the Canadian Contingent, who are
not Sinister, but now truly understand the maening of the word 'twee'
(appartently, they don't use this word for Hello Kitty devotees in West
Canada. How odd).

I could go on and on and on about this all, but I won't. I'll just stay
indoors and talk to myself about it.

Oh, and enormous thank yous to Ulla for the sillistration (no. 41 on the web
site). It's beautiful and I'm very touched. Could you send me your address
off list so I can send you a little gift?

Smoking fags and walking on air (which is harder than it sounds)

Madeleine
xxx