Sinister: A single to Selly Oak please, and make it quick.

Tim Hackett timothy at xxx.net
Tue Jul 3 15:14:24 BST 2001

hiya,

It's the year 2001, so it must be time for another post...

I saw Belle and Sebastian!

Twice!

and I don't care if lots of other people did too, I was/still am very
excited.  And on saturday I climbed a mountain in the hot wastelands in the
back of beyond (or souff london) to find lots of sinister people having a
picnic, so I popped my cherry.  A cherry lollypop that is, and anyone
thinking I was referring to anything else can go and wash their corrupted
mind out with soap.  The picnic was great - it was very nice to be able to
put faces to all the famous names at last, even if I was humilialted in the
football match by losing a fight with a particularly violent tree.

Big Stu said of Birmingham:

"Let's face it, there aren't many places in the world that make Preston look
glamourous."

and with Struans hell/birmingham mix up (he must have forgotten the lines
again) I am going to stick up for Brum.  Yes it has got lots of concrete,
but it is concrete with style (ahem).  Just step backwards from the Alex,
and towering majestically behind it is the marvel that is the rotunda.  Now,
where else has got one of those I ask you - I am sure Brian Appleton would
agree with me.  And the Belle and Sebastian T-Shirts were 2 pounds cheaper
in Birmingham.  However, I did prefer the Albert Hall gig.  Yes, the sound
was much better in Birmingham and "You made me forget my dreams" was
brill'yant, but where were "We rule the School" and "Lazy Line painter
jane"?  Stuck somewhere near Willesden Junction no doubt.

Ben Apps said in a kind and caring way

"I hope you got home OK Tim."

which is the cue for a big rant about the state of public transport in this
country, the stability of double decker buses going round roundabouts at
speeds that I didn't think double decker buses were capable of while fully
loaded on the top deck, long walks in ill fitting doc martins and the CID
stopping a suspicous looking character for sitting down at the side of the
road at 4am, coincidentally opposite a house that had been broken into a
couple of hours beforehand.  Apparently I might have been "coming back for
more".  But yes, I did get home okay, thankyou for asking.

Enough of this jibberish already,

Sweet dreams,
tim.x