Sinister: a section about Reindeer an' ting

Charlie Farley charlie_ivens at xxx.com
Tue Jul 3 16:45:06 BST 2001

To the French gentleman and the other people who've said/asked things about
The Reindeer Section, I have this to say - yay!

The album is exceedingly good indeed, although it's sadly not out til
August. If I was clever and knew of such technology, I'd be naughty and put
the whole gosh-darned thing online. But I'm not. So I won't.

(I will, however, point portentiously to my e-mail address above, for
totally unrelated reasons of course.)

The full line-up is this:

Gary Lightbody & Jonny Quinn - Snow Patrol
Aidan Moffat – Arab Strap
Willie Campbell, Charlie Clarke, Gareth Russell & Michael Bannister – Astrid
John Cummings – Mogwai
Colin Macintyre – Mull Historical Society
Bob Kildea – V-Twin
Jenny Reave – Eva
Richard Colburn & Mick Cooke  – Belle & Sebastian
Gill Mills & Andrew Meehan – Hercules

So...two B&Sers and a V-Twin...lovely. The bulk of the album sounds more
like Snow Patrol than anyone else, but they've gone lovely and psychedelic
all of a sudden so that's definitely a good thing. Basically, the principle
is a Scottish/Irish version of "You Have Been Poisoned By The Serpents"
which came out a couple of years ago and assembled a similarly motley crew
of (predominantly Welsh) people from the Super Furries and Gorkys and
suchlike, to make strange noodly music.

In other news, B&S at the RAH were lovely, as has noe been said a thousand
millino times on this list so I won't bang on. A fair few peeps I went with
left vee disappointed (bad sound, bit of a shambles, pricey drinks,whatever)
but I thought the whole thang held together fabbily well.

Was gutted they didn't play GMAFHID tho, but I retaliated by singing it ALL
THE WAY back to Tottenham Court Road on foot (buses are rubbish). And even
the oddly disjointed "Jonathan David" was kinda endearing.

Extremely jealous congrats to The Hodd for being asked to sing onstage.
Would've shat meself personally but somehow you didn't! I think *you* should
now form a band (if you haven't already...) just so you can then invite
Stuart onstage to sing one of *your* songs as a mark of respect. Or
something.

Forgot about the picnic on Saturday. Feel very silly. Boo.

*And* I didn't get any badges due to not even noticing the merchandise thing
even though it was apparently really enormous and obvious...so if anybody
got a spare set I wouldn't mind arranging some arrangement...

Oh, and a couple of peeps asked about the Jonathan David video again, so
here's the link:

http://www.now.com/mp3tv/feature.now?fid=1891152&cid=1688986

There.

Bye!

ttfn xox Charlie

ps. very late indeed I know, but isn't "Nalda Said" just *enchanting*?

pps. any Leicester Sinisterines going to the Summer Sundae this, er, Sunday?
If not why not? Laaaaambchoooop...Tuuuriiiin Braaaakes...ummm, and a nice
park and a pretty memorial thingy with flags made of stone! Best go now.

"Love is like jazz
You make it up as you go along
And you act as if you really know the song
But you don't
And you never will"