Sinister: Birmingham is, er, lovely

dr nick morton nick.morton at xxx.net
Wed Jul 4 02:40:28 BST 2001

hello kids!

My habit of lurking for two years at a time means that almost none
of you will know who I am, but hello to you all anyway. I thought I
should sneak out from under my Sinister-stone to tell you how
bouncy I am after the gig last night. Partially because I met
Stuart!!!!! ... but more of that later*.

I am a little perturbed that most of you non-Brummie types who
braved the city seem to have gone home with a really bad
impression of it. I can only suggest you come back and I show you
all the *good* (well, less bad) places to go! (and booo! to all those
who playfully suggest that it should only take a minute or two).

The gig was very cool, not sure I can add much to the reviews that
other people have already given. I left my original seat to sit with
my cool but non-Sinister friend Hannah, way up in the distance in
the impressive-sounding Grand Circle. We had half a row to
ourselves up there because everyone sitting next to her had left
suffering from vertigo. Seriously. The band played beautifully, they
seem so much more confident and at ease performing these days.
Little shivers ran down my spine as they played 'I know where the
summer goes'.

Afterwards we hung around for a while, wishing there was a beach
to head for and trying not to attract undue attention from the
studded-collar types queueing for the rock club next door ... and
whilst we hung around having a drink at the Victoria (behind the
theatre) and wondering what to do next, we suddenly realised that
there was Stuart!, carrying boxes and packing equipment. He
waved at Hannah, so we walked around the other side of the
building and went over to say hi. I'd like to think I maintained some
semblance of calm and saved all my burbling and rambling until
afterwards, but I probably didn't. He signed my '3 ... 6 ... 9' poster
'to Nick and Hannah' and then added  ' ... but especially Nick' when
we explained that we had separate posters :).

Fascinating facts we gleaned: they wanted to play Brighton but
weren't able to arrange it for this tour, but next time round
(whenever that may be) they intend to go there, and Liverpool and
Newcastle too.

And with that he left, looking for the rest of the band. When he
finds them, I hope they'll play Birmingham again too. After all, it's
probably better than you think!**

returning to lurking again ...

love
Nick
~~~
* that was a device to keep you reading to the end. Sorry if you feel
cheated :)
** please note, I may be wrong.