Sinister: The Clientele reviewed in Magnet

colin thornton colinboy21 at xxx.com
Wed Jul 4 03:49:06 BST 2001

I just wanted to share Magnet magazines excellent review of The Clientele's
new album Suburban Light.  By the way, I just bought the album, and I have
to totally agree with the review.  I also want to alert Sinister about a new
group called the Shins.  While I haven't heard the actual the album,
National Public Radio described them as nostalgic summer indie pop (and they
sounded like B&S meets the Beach Boys).

Here is the review:  "Someday soon, there's going to be a rebellion against
the sort of quiet rock practiced by the Clientele.  Drake-ian, tendeer folk
rose to prominence with Belle And Sebastian and stirred a sea of imitators
to a threatening high tide.  But to lump the Clientele in with cut-rate
impostors is to do the U.K. trio a tremendous disservice.  The Clientele is
clearly drawing from a deeper pool, melding Galaxie 500 with the Left Banke
and Love to create irresistible pop gems.  Guitarist Alasdair MacLean's
breathy voice sweetly intones tales of sorrow and heartbreak, pleading "I
want you so bad in my heart," abashedly confessing "I want you more than
ever," sounding altogether earnest, fragile, endearing and true.  It's a
perfect fit for the band's decidedly retro posturing, the effortless, airy
stylings in league with both B&S and Felt but stealing from neither.  The
music rises up slow and tender, delicate arpeggios, brushed percussion,
tentative verses easing into cool, summery choruses like a swimmer slipping
into the sea.  Someday soon, there's going to be a rebellion against the
sort of quiet rock practiced by the Clientele.  But not today, baby.  Not
today."

I like the ending, but I wonder...isn't there already a huge rebellion
against quiet rock?  Maybe someday people will actually appreciate our sense
of taste, but not today baby.  Not today.

Colin