Sinister: oh i do love to be beside the seaside....

Desmond Torpey boyfreind_in_a_coma at xxx.com
Thu Jul 5 22:17:02 BST 2001

hello there....
...i have been absent for a while (probably a blessed
relief for you all) but i had to break my silence to
write about the wonderful fantastic splendiferous time
that i had in Bournemouth....i wasnt expecting it to
be that good to be honest...i thought that the poor
wee lambs would be quite tired and the second last gig
doesnt have quite as much glamour or meaning as the
last...but good god in heaven they decided to play an
absoloute *wow* show and it was certainly the most fun
gig i have ever attended...
...getting there was almost as good...dragging along
two unwilling freinds (whos total knowledge was 'that
song from teachers') and eventually converting them by
the end of the night...well...sort of...we refunded
our hideously expensive coach tickets about an hour
before we left and threw caution to the wind by
catching the smallest bus in history through all these
tiny little west country villages for £5...past
ancient stone monuments surrounded by sweaty
tourists...through miles and miles of eerily empty
feilds and finally to Bournemouth on a VERY hot double
decker...i ate a ridicolusly spicy pizza proceeding to
burn my mouth away and then we played 'chase the tide
and see how wet your feet can get' for a while...and
then, filled with alcohol and giddy excitement, we
proceeded to the pavilion...i was greeted with the
sight of a large twee army camped on the steps of the
theatre...i really felt like i wanted to hug every one
of them and scream 'you love them too!'....but i
didnt...i was too scared...but it was a lovely sight
all the same...there was badges,courdoroys and
multicolured scarfs as far as the eye could see...by
this point i was feeling quite ill with anticipation
so i had to smoke quite a lot to calm my
nerves...taking our seats delightfully near the front
the lights dimmed and we were greeted with the sight
of one brian appleton...who...frankly...was a bit
crap...but it didnt matter and i still loved him for
it (it was that kind of night)...and then !HUZZAH! on
they came, launching into 'le pastie de la bourgeoise'
with gusto...stuart looked very smart indeed in his
grey trousers and didnt stop grinning all
night...isobel looked mildly bored all night but very
nice all the same...by the time they started playing
'theres too much love' two girls at the front were up
and dancing and pretty soon the entire theatre was out
of their seats and grooving like lunatics...stuart
made lewd comments during 'the model' about breasts
for which he profusly apologised for in a very sweet
way...'slow graffiti' was gorgeous and stevies voice
on 'jonathan david' was magnificent....there was a
spot of schoolboy style mass whistling halfway through
and stuart declared that bournemouth 'was really nice
and posh, you feel like you're on your holidays'...for
the cover they rejected calls for 'bring your daughter
to the slaughter' and instead played made a lovely
attempt at loves 'alone again or' for an engineer
called roger which would have sounded ace in any
circumstances but one of my favourite songs ever being
played live by possibly my favourite band ever was
ludicrously great...other highlights were definatly
'the state i am in' ("riding on bournemouth city
buses") and an unexpected 'you made me forget my
dreams'...i'm guessing the newest song, as has already
been suggested, is called 'waking up to us' and from
what i can remember it had a few different parts but
was still quite poppy and with a prominent string
section, i cant compare it to anything else because it
sounded really fresh and different and bluddy
marvellous...but the undoubted best part was actually
getting on stage and dancing during 'womans
realm'...there was kind of a rush towards the front
and i just found myself clambering up with about
twenty other people onto a really precarious wooden
platform type thing...i hope i didnt elbow anyone in
the face in my eagerness...everybody was dancing and
you could feel the wood underneath juddering in a
scary way...there was one poor security guy with a
tetantive hand checking the vibrations in case the
whole structure collapsed...just to add to the
tweeness of it all i nearly stepped on somebodies
inhalor so i carefully placed it on the side out of
the way on dancing feet...i hope the owner recovered
it and didnt have any B+S excitement induced asthma
attacks....in the end i think the whole lighting
structure was in danger of collapse so we had to get
down...but then they finished off with a absoloutly
brilliant 'legal man' which i've never been that keen
on but hearing it played live with fantastic amounts
of percussion it was a wonderful way to finish the
set...we had to lay on the beach for a while to get
our breath back afterwards and see if stevies promises
of a beach party were kept...if it happended we
couldnt find it but it didnt matter because it was
just fantastic...i got home at about 1.00 am, emptied
the sand from my shoes and fell asleep...i still cant
get over the fact that i was up on stage dancing in
the middle of a belle and sebastian gig....it was a
marvellous day...
ta ta...