Sinister: pictures of me on your bedroom door

Kyla Schuller kylaschu at xxx.com
Fri Jul 6 00:58:53 BST 2001

Hello!

Unfortunately, this post contains no toplessness. But
thank you to all for the vicarious living of the last
few weeks! i can only hope that this fall will bring a
US bonanza, with excited americans posting all sorts
of nonsense. but no ribena for us, please.

so this list is quite an interesting thing. i am quite
pleased to have joined. it seems to strike a mighty
sword at a curious problem. i mean, art and especially
music have such a tremendous and personal impact on
its audience, and it quite seems to shape and
transform and make sense of our lives, but as audience
and viewers, we are curiously unable to do much but
consume said art. which is really weird to me. now, i
see nothing wrong with consumption itself, (as opposed
to my wannabe anarchist days), mostly because there
seems to be no way around it. the problem seems to be
when it is done to great excess, or in mindlessness,
or without a proportionate amount of production that
makes one feel less like a big ol' grouper fish
sucking in all that it sees swimming by. but me, (as
an uniterested example, of course) i am wholly
unmusical, cannot even whistle a tune properly, yet
music is a tremendous force to me all the same. but i
have no way of interacting with it save blathering and
dancing along. but this does little to counteract my
feeling of, wow, there's this huge part of my life,
but my only way of participating in it is to consume
consume consume.

but then sinister seems to me to solve a bit of this.
the gig reviews especially. suddenly, we are not
passive listeners, we (ok, not me at all.) are roving
reviewers, critics gallanting off to wonderous places
to make friends and spin personal worlds out of
impersonal art.

this wannabe indie kid i once knew thought he had the
perfect way of illustrating the production/consumption
art paradigm. he ate his photographs while walking to
his class. so when the prof asked for submissions, he
grinned, "i just ate them."

which is completely pitiful, but i'm a bit impressed
all the same. but i try not to be.

in other news, i must agree with all who dare say that
the new single is more than a bit pants, but i for
one, sunroof, steven, am still enamored with 69 love
songs. not that i can make myself listen to it much
anymore.

and thank you to grainne, for if you click on the
business card offer at the bottom of her mail, you
will find nothing less than a business card with a
color photograph of two white male suited hands in
firm handshake! and it can be your card for your
fictional job for only $4.95!

we may not have b & s tours, but at least our
capitalists are of the finest sort.

in sinisterese,
kyla