Sinister: take your internal combustion carriages and shove 'em

Apps Ben (Mr B) Ben.Apps at xxx.uk
Mon Jul 9 16:37:28 BST 2001

Grrrrrrrrr! (and hello to one and all)

I don't have much hate inside me (I hope), but I do have enough for all your
automobiles (and Struan's) and therefore I am unable to have any affection
for his new song.

It all started when I was dead little. My Dad is a *classic* car nut. His
particular hobby horse is Triumph's. I've never known him have less than
about 7 cars, and spent a large portion of my childhood lurking in dirty
garages while he and my sister tinkered around on *head gaskets* and
*carburretta's*? Trouble is they only ever did half a job, and what should
have an hour and a half journey from Manchester to Nottingham regularly
turned into an overnight disaster epic: overheating, broken springs, cracked
gear boxes, fallen off exhaust pipes were regular occurrences. I was
regularly car sick and so wasn't allowed any breakfast if a long road
journey lay ahead. As I got older I was expected to help resolve these
calamities. "Have you got any chewing gum?" my dad would ask as he attempts
to fix said head gasket, "just crawl under there and hold this torch" at 3am
on the Snake Pass between Glossop and Sheffield. I also started to notice
how angry drivers get with each other , shouting and getting all pent up
with frustration and rage (not very nice or healthy). Cocooned in their own
comfy little box thinking the world revolves around them - makes me mad!
Pedestrian rage Raaaaaagh! And then there's the environmental impact and the
carbon monoxide (i had quite bad asthma too) and the way people brag about
their cars and use them as a status symbol. So that's why I don't cars. OK.
I feel better now.

I don't mind buses though, and trains and boats are fine, especially boats.
I likes boats.

Who speaks in favour of le voiture?

Ben

p.s. can anyone give me a lift home?