Sinister: sinister encounters

Robin Stout robinjstout at xxx.com
Tue Jul 10 08:53:13 BST 2001

Hello, it's me! Yes me! You know, the one with the - that's right - and the
"monkey beans". Yes. That's me! I've been condemned to the sulphurous depths
of List Purgatory for a few weeks, after forgetting to resubscribe when I
left University, and am still rather sore. It's terrible down there in the
fiery depths, I can tell you! Honey danced on all my soft spots wearing her
stiletto heels and made me call her "mummy". Oh! The indignity!

So I'm here in Kidderminster, working in the petrol station again. It's not
totally boring here, though. We found a shrew in the petrol station last
week. Today I had to fill up for a lady who was allergic to petrol. On
Wednesday the lady on the fish counter married her late husband's brother
and he died the same evening. Honest. That's pretty dramatic, but it is
mostly boring here. Anyway, those girls on the fish counter are all the
same.

I rather terrified a customer last week because she was wearing a Belle and
Sebastian bus t-shirt - a brown one - and the shock of seeing one of these
in Kidderminster almost made my feet fall off. People round here only saw
toothbrushes for the first time last year, and they still only use them to
polish their mangles. Well, I confronted the girl.

"Hey! Belle and Sebastian! I saw them in London last Friday!"
"Oh, I see"
"Oh yes! They were dead ace!"
"Have they got a new single out then?"
"Er, yes."
"I don't really listen to them anymore. I just wear this because I like the
bus."
"Oh"
"Can I have a receipt, please?"

Ah, the concert last Friday. Well I suppose it's the Friday before last now.
It was fun. I really enjoyed all the songs, especially Lazy Line Painter
Jane and I Love My Car. Even though the band were tiny from where I stood,
and even though no one else was standing where I stood, let alone *dancing*.

Thank you Sarah, Alix and Vibri, by the way, for having me stay in your
house and sleep in the incredibly comfortable bed. And hello to everyone I
met, whether you were from Finland or from just down the road.

The recorded voices on the tube are okay, I feel almost certain they do want
me to mind the gap, but the man at Birmingham New Street who tells me he is
very sorry that my train has been cancelled is a liar. He's not sorry at
all. I was walking through Nottingham one time and heard a van parked in
front of McDonalds. It was a Securicor van and its electronic voice was
saying, ever so calmly, "Help! Help! This vehicle is being attacked. Please
call the police!" Nobody believed it, so they carried on walking. The driver
had been locked inside automatically and looked embarrassed. I didn't call
the police either. I went home and ate some mashed potato.

Robin x