Sinister: I hate the bus

kheydt kheydt at xxx.com
Wed Jul 11 00:21:43 BST 2001

Kristen's post opened a flood of old memories...

I grew up in a VERY rural area, some of my neighbors, whose homes you
couldn't see from the road, had no indoor plumbing, but they compensated
by having lots of dogs and guns (YeeeeHaw!). Anyway, I spent a lot of my
time riding the bus to and from school, at one time it took one hour
each way, so when I got home I would be in a rather claustrophobic state
and head straight for the woods. The squirrels liked to throw things at
me from their nests but the fox (B&S content?) seemed to tolerate me. My
woods were great, lots of trees of course, a creek (or crick), a small
cliff for climbing on, and cows that liked to gang up on me. Actually
the cows kept to the pastures surrounding the woods so the only part
that felt like school was the walk from the house to the trees (stupid
bully cows).

When I was smallest I would keep to the close-to-home bits of the
forest. When I got bigger and didn't like playing war anymore I would
walk about with my walkman, listening to Morrissey moan my moans and
Robert Smith wail my wails, I moved beyond my woods through farther
fields to other woods. I found an animal graveyard with lots of bones
scattered about. Once in winter I tracked a fox tracking a rabbit (I
asked him where he was going and he said he was finding something to eat
so I left him to it.) Turns out I was being tracked too, three hip-high
calves were following me. They got really close up but were too skittish
to make proper introductions.

Anyway two years ago they started putting houses in, and my trees are
fewer now. The cows are gone replaced with aluminum siding. The fox is
still there, for now.

-kirk