Sinister: I've Never Been To Me - But Then, Who Has?

Essexdog5 at xxx.com Essexdog5 at xxx.com
Wed Jul 11 00:27:58 BST 2001

I have no idea if this has been mentioned before by other lisetees (in that I
haven't posted here for a year or so), but having been @ the Retro Bar in
sexy Olde Londone Towne this eve, at a Motown/Stax/Northern Soul Pop Quiz, it
became apparent where B&S have ripped off Take Your Carriage Clock... from.

It's IDENTICAL to I've Never Been To Me, by Charlene (horrible old early '80s
Europop ballad, which my brother tortured me with daily as a sprite). And,
yes, it was released on Motown, which may explain Mr Murdoch having
reappropriated it. Heigh, and indeed, ho. Or perhaps the increasing level of
derivation re: any B&S track post-Arab Strap is purely a subconscious thing.
Who knows?

Attended the Albert Hall gig with the listee formerly known as FunkySeb (who
is out tonight DJing at Detox with MY records, and sulking like a child to
the point that he won't talk to me right now - cheers!) and adored the fact
that they finished with Everyday People, though somewhat nonplussed by the
amount of bullish arseholes in the audience who seemed to neither know nor
care about the band.

Having said that, I wish I hadn't bothered going. If Belle & Seb really want
to be a Mamas & The Papas/New Seekers tribute band, fair enough, but I sure
'aint jumping on at that particular bus stop (hi, Kirsten!).

Inevitably, knowing Stu's propensity to re-record tracks to the point of
ultimate blandness, the issued version of Middle-Distance Runner was cock,
and it's all gone a tad  "you're making me forget my dreams" for me, so I
shall have to close my ears to any further B&S communiques - you know how it
is when bands start shitting on themselves from a great height? They all do
it. Eeeurgh. Anyway, that's just my opinion. See you on Stars In Their Eyes!
I'll be Stevie "Elvis ate my vocal chords" Jackson, you be Isobel "Claudine
Longet - she wishes" Campbell - assuming you're calculating enough. And have
a Prada fixation.

Pip pip!

Stephen.
PS We won the Soul-themed pop quiz, by a sizeable margin. Rah!