Sinister: Lightning on the Sun

Gordon gogron at xxx.uk
Wed Jul 11 20:29:22 BST 2001

it's a book by Robert Bingham (Canongate 2001 Edinburgh; Doubleday NY
2000 or amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-6494795-1966511)

It's one of those books that I'm on the final pages of and I don't want
the man to go away but, unfortunately he did in 1999. Too much money.
Too much heroin and Black Label.
P.J. O'Rourke commented: "Terryfying action/pitiful land/pitiable
characters/terrible situation- Aristotle couldn't have asked for a
better mix of terror and pity."
I suppose that's one field journalist to another; overdosed on American
Republicanism and indulging in the fear of the wider world... Brits did
it last Century and Alex some time before... right through the new
territories.(East not West) Each in turn go forth in laughter and anger.

It sometimes goes wrong and things as 'gang aft agley'... but this man
as he writes his novel... I wish I'd been there for him... but then
again I'm not much use either... life isn't everything, and people look
to possibilities... look for love and hope for strength.
No easy ways through this watery air but it will happen. This must be a
non-violent willpower.
I am reminded of Iran... it's colonial snoberry; the kindness and also
fear... raised people up I suppose, like the circles became tighter...
individuals in a group started looking out for one another. Can humans
only function in these niches?
I'm not so arrogant as to look for a strategy on that.

Gordon

I probably just need some air... as Kathleen Raine wrote:

Never twice that river
Though the still turning water
In its dark pools
Mirrors suspended green
Of an unchanging scene.

Frail bubbles revolve,
Break in the rippling falls,
The same, I could believe,
Each with it's moment gone,
I watched in former years

Ever reforming maze
Of evening midge's dance,
Swifts that chase and scream
Touching their low flight
The picture on the stream

Heart is deceived,
Or knows what mind ignores:
Nor the mirroring flux
Nor mirrored scene remain
Nor the rocky bed
Of the river's course,

But shadows intangible
That fade and come again.
Through their enduring forms
The glassy river runs;
All flows save the image
Cast on that shimmering screen.

_

I'm afraid this is all rather twice vicarious and not even slightly
Belle and Seb except for the wee stories on the sleeves.
Why search for relevance if you're searching for the intangibles of
truth?

"They were neither his friend nor his foe; that was what was so
maddening"
-Robert Bingham

Hope stands taller than fear... I miss you. Maybe that's why we need to
believe in heaven.