Sinister: uncounted soapy-liquorice moments

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Mon Jul 16 22:11:59 BST 2001

BUT IN OUR WORLD OF PLENTY

Now here is a thing. Wait till I tell you.

World War II. UK. Rationing. A shortage of sweets.
Your man takes up the story.

"Even Africa felt sorry for us.In an act of charity
that mirrored Live Aid - and predated it by forty
years - the citizens of Nairobi were asked to give up
their sugar coupons: each one donated would provide
half a dozen barley sugars or pear drops for one of
Britain's orphaned or homeless children. It would be,
as one Ugandan newspaper put it, 'a touching
demonstration that we children of the mother country
do not forget her in times of need'".

[Culled from Nicholas Whittaker, SWEET TALK: THE
SECRET HISTORY OF CONFECTIONERY (London: Victor
Gollancz, 1998), p.111.]

This, boys, is a true story. Girls, also. Too. Uganda
donated to Britain's - let us call it - "candy fund"
during the Emergency. Think on.

THE BODY AS LANGUAGE

I see that Herbert McCabe has died. Could there be a
story in this? Yes. It goes as follows. Professor
Terry Eagleton will attend the wake, to be held in
Manchester. Jokes will be made viz. the following:

[re. a statue of Christ, mistaken for Prof. McCabe:]
"It doesn't look a bloody bit like the fella!!"

[re. Michel Foucault:] "A true micropolitics of the
prison would be in every sense cellular".

Ah, I've never forgotten that one, and you can't say I
have.

ENDGAME IN CHELMSFORD

It seems I owe Mr David Moore an apology. In a
previous contribution I both berated him for lack of
clarity and compared him to Mr David Trimble of the
UUP. Mr Moore has since explained that clarity is his
daughter's middle name. All I have to do, he says, is
click on the blue attachments, and I'll see a sight
for sore eyes, if you catch my drift. But about the
Trimble episode. Words were exchanged. A full and
frank exchange of views. There was a Broadcast
blackout. A Testcard. "Let's just say that I walked
into the Minister's office and told him that Caliban
might have been easy for the colonial imagination to
pacify, but we would be a harder job." Well done,
David. David tells me that Anita O'Day is going for
fifteen quid. That makes me feel like Mervyn Day, let
alone Melvyn Bragg.

WHAT'S THE POINTSMAN?

Pynchon update has been held over due to lack of
progress. A clue arrives from that beautiful
undiscovered valley region, My Editor. - It's all on
the first page of the book, quoth she: 'not a
disentanglement, but a progressive knotting into...'.
I am discouraged.