Sinister: A century of vicars

Rob Butler rewbutler at xxx.com
Tue Jul 17 11:29:38 BST 2001

Hello all,

>... I think this is a Good Idea, so I’m gonna rip off Rachel Playforth, and
>simply swap the first two letters of my name. So, hugs to all,
>
>Asm.x

The number of times I've just finished an e-mail to a director of studies /
tutor / potential employer &c, attempted to sound serious and professional,
and then gone and signed myself as 'orb'...

Aaanyway...  it's been a busy few weeks on the list, to say the least!  You
buggers just don't stop writing.  I've finally caught up though, after
digesting a digest or eight for a few days solid - work really does
sometimes have its advantages.

For me, there's been R!A!H! which you all know about - I too managed to get
in, with five friends, without even taking the tickets out of my inside
pocket.  Was very tempted to pop out again and flog them to the touts
outside, to help fund the next round of extortionate drinks, but then was
overcome by pangs of guilt - perhaps I have some vestiges of moral fibre
after all...

Then Ipswich!, which rocked.  As Stu mentioned, Sarah chose 'Don't stop me
now' by Queen on Beat Patrol (B&S do Desert Island Discs) a few years back.
It was particularly appropriate that it was Sarah who started the song off -
she was loving it loving it loving it, as were we.  And Murdoch's outfit!
Wow.

Chris Jones mentioned that he saw some nut-cases dancing like soul boys
(more like headless chickens) in the circle.  Hmmm, nothing to do with me
guv.  Honest.  It wasn't us!

We then went clubbing in Ipswich, to the one club not adorned by a large
brawl in the street outside.  Were almost turned away by the bouncers after
they spotted that Terry had somehow forgotten to replace the binoculars from
his theatre seat - naughty boy!  The club was grim, but did have a fountain
and palm trees.  I'm not sure there were (m)any others from the gig there -
I also think we succeeded in irritating the local clubbers by, um, taking
the piss a bit with the old dancing lark.  They wouldn't play us any
Lambchop.

Then to the campsite, after dropping off our new friend Marianna (hi!) at
her hotel.  I was three hours late for work the next morning.  Oops.  They
had chickens at the campsite.

Orb