Sinister: B and S is becoming a pop band

Paul Arathoon paularathoon at xxx.com
Wed Jul 25 23:15:24 BST 2001

Daniela Varanda said:

>But I wish
>the media weren't spreading the news so much and
>making them a pop band.

I say: I wish they were more like a pop band. Apart from the obvious, like
they'd all have to wear co-ordinated "street" clothes and have dance
routines which would be a clear improvement, it would mean that an evil pop
svengali would rule their world. the upshot of this? more tours, record
signings, struan and isobel dolls, B&S eye liner, pepsi drink, trading
cards, even mopeds!
They already have their own Geri Halliwell in Stuart David.

On a more practical note,(applies glasses and peers over the top therefore
creating an air of parental/teacher seriousness), I think that it is great
the mainstream media write about Belle and Sebastian. No band wants to write
songs that are only going to be heard by 2 students and their dog. They want
them to be heard by as many people as possible.
Mainstream media has given me the chance to see B&S at the Royal Albert Hall
rather than at the camden Falcon. I know which venue I think is better!
If B&S weren't known by mainstream media and played the Uk indie toilet
circuit (next stop...: Camden) I don't think there is a chance they would be
jetting off to Brazil. It's a game of give and take.
I want them to embrace the media. Starting with a Smash Hits cover thanks.

Paul
P.s. the editor of NME thinks Stuart M was the worst cover he has done under
his tenure. not all media is good media obviously.