Sinister: life-size models of the velvet underground

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Sat Jul 28 07:55:36 BST 2001

  this is something that has been bothering me for awhile, and i hope
i am not alone...please, someone reassure me that i am not an
uncultured swine.  unless i AM, in which case please, someone tell me
the truth so i can retire from my artistic endeavors and start
learning how to be a trucker.
        i always giggle at conceptual art.
  it's happened for years, and it happened four hours ago.  i just
don't see how people can step into a room draped in balloons and
electrical tape and nod knowingly.  there was one room in which there
was a television playing a tape of two boys dancing and
singing "ragtime gal" in a manner which suggested some level of
inebriation.  the boys on the tape were smiling at times, so i
thought maybe it was okay that i was visibly fighting to suppress the
wild bursts of laughter building up inside.  but then i looked around
and nobody else was smiling at all...and stony-faced strangers
nodding at the ragtime gal performance made me want to laugh all the
more.
  i am not a loud or excitable person, but for some reason i cannot
keep my composure in these situations.  am i intimidated? am i
overwhelmed?  am i naive?  or is it all just bullshit?
   i'm thinking i may have some pretty good art right here: leftovers
 from my infamous gesso phase, during which i painstakingly coated
many of my personal belongings with multiple layers of thick white
gesso.  i am now the proud owner of what emily calls "the avant-garde
tool kit," including a smooth white hammer and a tape-measure which
is now useless because i painted over the numbers.  but it wasn't
supposed to be artistic, i was just bored and felt like wasting
gesso.  anyway, i apologize for the length of this post, but i know
there are gobs of people on this list who are far more artistically-
minded than i am, and i am hoping someone can either sympathize with
me, enlighten me, or advise me to stay the hell away from conceptual
art so as to avoid future embarassment. luv luv luv
  kirsten
quote of the evening:  "i hate art.' -scott

Care2 make the world greener!