Sinister: Dave Eggers 'likes Belle and Sebastian'. or he lied to me.

hyde kevin michael kmhyde at xxx.edu
Sat Jul 28 16:23:35 BST 2001

So I went to the McSweeney's festival this weekend. I would waste valuable
space on intense descriptive detail, but that would be boring, and that's
not really tolerated on this list.
so, speed descriptions:

Zadie Smith: as young and as pretty as expected. adores Madonna, loves
Radiohead, smokes like a fiend, is very patient. Does *not* like Will
Self.

Neal Pollack: funny, but very guarded. stingy with his *free* books.
(there was a contest for most pretentious t-shirt, and I won, but never
got the book he promised) somewhat alarmed by my questions.

Dave Eggers: not the monster I thought he would be. Approached me in the
bar and congratulated me on winning the t-shirt contest. Called me 'sport'
and directed me to Neal Pollack, which was cool, but weird. He is insanely
laid-back, so serene. I don't know how he deals with what he does (at the
signing, people were telling him about how relatives of theirs had died,
etc) but he is calm- an American Buddha, a california curly-haired Jesus.

well- main content being that, when I was in line to get my book signed,
he remembered me from the past night, and said "hey, the guy with the
t-shirt, what are you wearing today?", "Belle and Sebastian t-shirt", I
squeaked. "Cool," Dave said. Neal Pollack said "you know you can't win
two days in a row", which I thought was unnecessary. (and I've never
figured B&S to be that pretentious. maybe some of the fans..)
when i finally got up to him, Dave asked me if I remembered the scene from
Hi-Fidelity, and i said "of course, it's so funny". Dave said he liked the
band, but that he was listening to mostly country now, old-time country
with yodeling. He told me he could not get enough yodeling. I agreed, and
thanked him for the book.

there was a similar, more drunken exchange with Neal Pollack regarding
music, but with no mention of Belle and Sebastian, and so has no business
on this list. writer gossip.

very tired,
Kevin