Sinister: I Spent the Summer being Dynamic, doing pressups etc. (not really)

Joe Vester machiavellian_llama at xxx.com
Sat Jul 28 20:02:30 BST 2001

    Well, I got home from Greece today at about 3 in the afternoon, went to
sleep, hung around a bit, finally got round to dragging my computer into the
shed (where it habitually resides) from the house where it had been left to
stop it being nicked.Now it is about 5:20, realise that I have got 201
e-mails and I finish downloading them all at about 5:30. Then realise there
was a picnic earlier that very day and feel all unhappy, especially as I
have got Flu and if I was there would simply sneeze and moan all over the
lot of you. Also, have been on move across continents for a little while and
thus deprived of any cockroach free washing facilities and apparently smell
like municipal tip, although due to blocked nose cannot smell anything.
Cannot have bath/shower here as boiler is bust and water v.cold. Must admit
to having morbid fear of cockroaches. More about lovely holiday later.
    Hope there will be a picnic in about September as that is when I will
next be in London. Between now and then, I will be dragged around the
country by my various parents. One will take me to Yorkshire (v.g.) and
possibly to Edinb (v.v.g.) as my Step-mother went to Uni there and we
sometimes stay with people. My mother, on the other hand will drive me to
swansea and pack me off on a ferry to Ireland which is nice but where I will
be going it is v.boring unless you have an affinity to sheep and my mother's
ghastly friends who will surely be torturing me with their endless
questions. I know I shouldn't moan but there you go.
    Now, lovely holiday time. Went to Athens on 9th (I think) and stayed
there with my father for 2 days. Had a look at Acropolis which was v.nice
but covered with Tourists. Had a look at Battleship Averov which was v.old
and completely deserted apart from crew of about 6. Step-Mother arrived with
little sister and all got on 11-hour Ferry to tiny Cycladian Island called
Sikinos.
    Sikinos has v.few tourists and no rain for 3 years so water has to be
tanked in twice a week. Spent whole time lazing around or walking. Got up at
8 every morning, 9-o'clock bus to Ano Pronia, where the beach is, went
swimming until about 10:30, had iced coffee in same cafe at same table and
got 11:15 bus back up to Horia where was staying. Had early lunch and would
read before playing Monopoly with 5-year-old sister who would get all tired
and disinterested before it really got interesting. Then would read my book
for a while. Read Bridget Jones, which was funny. Read White Teeth, on
Recommendation from Sinister, and thought was very good, although somewhat
conrtived towards the end. Still really amazing book, though. Tried to read
Ulysees but gave up. Tried to read Proust but couldn't be bothered. Read
P.G. Wodehouse instead. Read Something by JorgeLouis Borges which was OK.
Then Got Flu and had to stay in bed, listening to 1 song at a time on my
walkman with 1 hour gaps as batteries ran out on first day in Sikinos where
getting more was impossible.
    Spent 4 days in Bed and sent postcards. Felt better on last day and went
on long walk to site of Archeological importance. Felt terrible afterwards.
Went back to Athens on over-night ferry next day. Now am back here and there
you go.
    Thankyou to all those people who mentioned me in their posts or who sent
me lovely e-mails in regard to my last post. I am presently in the process
of writing back to you all.
    Somebody has probably mentioned this before but in 'Creeque Alley' by
The Mamas and The Papas it mentions "In a coffee house Sebastian sat". A
great prophecy perhaps?
    I've nothing else to say in my
ears-still-haven't-popped-after-the-flight-yet-due-to-blocked-nose state.
Hope Picnic is going well, but I'm sure I'll hear about it whatever,

Joe