Sinister: Galaxies and Beautiful Effects

Sunset . sunnie_set at xxx.com
Sat Jun 2 21:36:51 BST 2001

-Look I'm going to read you something, won't you at least stop fidgeting and
give me your full attention...
-Ok, I promise, I was listening to you anyway,but now you can see my face
you believe me don't you?
-I'm not entirely sure, but I'm really want to read you this so I will give
you the benefit of the doubt, just this once you understand? Its just it
seems important:
        "In the universe today, galaxies usually drift past one another like
ships in the night, missing each other by large distances. The chance
collision of galaxies with gas clouds or one another result in strange often
beautiful effects, caused not by actual collison of matter but by the
gravitational pull of matter.
The close encounters result in new star formations, rekindling of quasars by
adding vast amounts of matter to the accretion disk surrounding black holes,
and even ripping away stars which are lost into intergalatic space"*
-hmmm... well that was nice... I'm not sure,  what you mean though?
-I don't mean anything thats the whole point.  But can't you understand? If
things so great, so much bigger than ourselves are happening by luck, how on
earth are we supposed to stand a chance?
At the same time, though, its brilliant, we are out of control... the most
beautiful things in life happen by accident... its not our fault. We were
just born insignificent...
- I'm not sure I like this train of thinking, it seems to me you are using
yet another excuse to wriggle out of real life, I'm not sure how much longer
you can keep this up?
-I'm not honestly, but what makes you so sure I'm wrong? What if this is
what real life is? Put it this way: what if I had not heard of Belle and
Sebastian? and you hadn't either? would we be here now? I very much doubt
it. And look what we have. It is so much more than either of us know. But
its pure chance.
And that is just the one thing. You have to start looking around. Right now.
What's the most beautiful thing you see? I will bet you anything it has
happened by accident.

*Promega Catologue: Protocols and applications guide "The Source of
Discovery"