Sinister: an upturned boat/sine die

Gordon gogron at xxx.uk
Fri Jun 1 01:31:00 BST 2001

Oh I am becoming too regular. Doctors say it's healthy.

essentially a note to Scots listees. It's a book I bought and read today
called 'Without Day'. I bought it in a place which featured a big
cartoon horse leaping from weird orange territory with a black plastic
bucket over its head. There was also the sight and sound of artificial
rain made by coloured plastic balls shown on a wee stereo TV set, and
some photos, one of which makes a multi-storey car-park look GRATE. All
glowing, like, through the concrete at night.
Anyway, this book deals with the issue of the new Scottish Parliament.
The title of the book refers to the terms of the dissolution of the old
one; i.e. the last parliament in Scotland hundreds of years ago didn't
exactly ever stop, but just agreed to not arrange another meeting. Until
recently that is. Anyways, seeings as I'm in a (very) small capacity
involved in the building that will house the new parliament, this book
is fascinating reading, for it contains all kinds of wonderful and
profound proposals from artists and writers and poets about things
they'd like to be part of this parliament-of-ours-thingy. Happily, I
reckon they have a kindred spirit in the now departed architect of the
building to be but, what the book implicitly suggests is that here is an
opportunity of a wee and seemingly now rather culturally liberated and
not half bad too country to do our stuff... it's fun and optimistic and
more 'singing and dancing in the rain' than drowning in the drizzle.
OK, not Belle and Sebastian and, if you read the book, no isolationist
or parochial tract either... I just thought I'd recommend it.

For example, it contains a proposal for an open kitchen.
There is also a proposal for democracy by way of attracting exotic birds
to party-political bird tables in the gardens.

Nice, hopeful things :)

Gordon