Sinister: Memories Filled with Music

Sunset . sunnie_set at xxx.com
Tue Jun 5 20:02:17 BST 2001

My sister gained a bit of a reputation as an alcohol expert whilst in
university:
“At the age of 5 or 6 I learnt about red wine from my grandparents, may
grandad poured single malt whisky into my ice cream whilst nobody was
looking, and I drank champagne cocktails with an elderly aunt”
For some reason people found this strange. I on the other hand found it
strange that this is not normal. I had a similar revelation when visiting
friends house’s and realised that their parents didn’t listen to music or at
least not in the same way that mine did.
At the age of 23 I am coming to the conclusion that my relationship with
music has something to do with my upbringing.

Culprit Number One-My Dad:

One memory immediately springs to mind:
Having just moved house thing were not as they should be. Boxes stood
unemptied and things had yet to find a rightful place from which to be
disturbed.
I sat on thick orange carpet in the new front room barely daring to move. My
dad was near by kneeling at the record player.
The carpet was hardly visible as piles of unalphabetised records covered it.
My dad played me music, made me guess if a track was a blues song or not and
told me that songs could be stories as well as just music.
I watched as he cleaned the vinyl with  a red sponge and plucked stray hairs
of the stylus in between tracks. I had already learnt that records should
not be touched in the black groovy bits and the correct way to stop the
music was not to clumsily drag the needle across the turntable.
To a 5 year old child, being allowed in a room with such treasured
possessions is important and not easily forgotten

Culprit Number 2- My Mum:

My mum’s attitude to music was always slightly different. Whilst my dad
reinforced the fabric of the house, piling shelves high with vinyl, CDs and
cassettes my mum collected very few.
And of those she did have there would always be the one chosen tape that
would be played repeatedly for weeks on end and she, in steam filled
kitchen, sang to it.
Strangely enough she never did seem to learn the words, but the obsession
was catching and soon my sister and I would find ourselves randomly humming
lines.

These two people are responsible for my obsessive attitude; they laugh at me
now and blame each other for the misguided child they brought up.
And though they might not realise it, I am proud to have been taught by
them. How else would I have ended up as part of a "peculiarly deranged
fanbase"?