Sinister: Boulder to Birmingham (arrival at New Street expected roughly 20 minutes after scheduled time due to unevenness in transport policy)

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sat Jun 9 11:34:23 BST 2001

When I heard them say your name, that's all it took.
That's all it took to make me yearn for your embrace -
I guess I might as well admit no-one can take your
place. Yes, that's what I would like to say to Robin
Cook. How appallingly he has been treated. What a
brave face he must put on saying 'I was pleased to be
summoned back to perform this nugatory role as Leader
of the Commons'.

Jack Straw as Foreign Secretary - jeez, we might as
well bring back Douglas Hurd, jumpers and all. The
jumpers, they might be the good bit. I've nothing
against jumpers.

I saw two Cary Grant pictures last Saturday. MY
FAVOURITE WIFE starred Irene Dunne. Then I saw YOU CAN
COUNT ON ME. This slow, understated film was fabulous.
Its rootsy soundtrack made me want to go out, I mean,
in, and write a rootsy soundtrack. My editor suggested
writing an imaginary musical which doesn't exist. So
we both went ahead and did it. It took no time at all.

SLM said:

>>> the quality of the posts iand the niceness
of the people is what has made sinister strong.

That's very true, except re. Peter Miller. In his
case, it's the poor quality of the posts and his
essential lack of personality that have made sinister
weak over the years. In some ways, I feel that the one
thing holding the list back from greatness since 1997
has been the mixture of slackness and unpleasantness
so regularly displayed by the geezer Miller. He has
let us all down time and time again. I have never
understood why Honey didn't chuck him off years ago.

>>> Oh, I had another listen to Jonathan David and
maybe I was too harsh.

How did you listen to it? I didn't think it was out
yet. I knew I was behind, but I didn't know I was as
behind as that. Come to think of it, I thought I was
more behind.

>>> Honey says it sounds like a Stuart song? So when
Stevie sings it, it sounds odd.

I don't know why you say that. When Stevie T sings
Stuart Adamson songs I always find it strangely
appropriate. It's the mixture of Celtic bellow and
Canadian aestheticism that does it.

That does it.

>>> Or is it Stevie trying to write like Stuart?  He
needs tying down, that boy.

What boy? Lloyd Cole's 'That Boy' needs not so much
tying down as flinging out there so that everyone
hears it and understands the genius of Lloyd again.
Rhapsodic, that's my word for 'That Boy'. You can
check the archive if you don't believe me. I always
call it 'rhapsodic'.

I don't know whether the geezer Stuart Murdoch needs
tying down. I think he needs winding up. I am becoming
slowly appalled at his apparent lack of output. How
many songs has he written in the last year or so?
Probably about 5 and a half. Feeble. Oh, and if he's
reading this and doesn't like it, I'll be waiting for
him with a feather duster outside the sub post office
on fashionable Milngavie's high street tomorrow.
Choose your weapons. I'll take Miller on too, while
we're about it. Mucky pups indeed.