Sinister: story

Gordon gogron at xxx.uk
Sat Jun 9 17:23:21 BST 2001

Things have happened overnight in person which, for reasons bordering
upon discretion, I shall not divulge but rather I'll focus on two
people, and all of you. One is a gentleman of my own age; the other is a
police sergeant. You all know or, are finding who you are.
The former bears the character of an aristocrat. He is effusive and
witty; a little philosophy; strong and companionable and responds to
requests for his roll-up cigarettes, but only if the conversation allows
it, and is lively to the concept of debate. We sit by the riverside: me
smoking his roll-ups by the minute and talking endlessly as he smiles
and works up towards another expostulation. He is scared of his mother.
This said to you, not in order to describe his haranguing on subjects
such as moral philosophy but in the jist of his emotional provenance. It
is approaching 3am.
The other man; the police man is more irritated by the disruption to his
routine and the responsible young men who felt it was worthy of their
sense of duty to call upon his services, as I drove, loosing a hub-cap,
up the road. We proceed from the portable breathalyser to the clunky one
in the interview room alongside his femail compadre who says 'the debate
stops here' in the van in which I'm being taken into Stirling. The
sergeant says I'm the most polite man he's ever arrested under these
circumstances.
Rather than be pedantic I smile (although he cannot see this) and remain
silent.
I considered Utilitarianism and the Law and decided that, in this
instance, my guilt should be clearly expressed.
The sergeant has a respectable demeanour verging upon the pleasant and,
his compadre returns into this lemon-sickness coloured room with the
clunky breathalyser with its widely ranging results saying 'have you
been chatting' to the sergeant. We're waiting.

We're all waiting, and to expand upon a trivial story of some slight
degree of moral complexity: things come and go. More importantly in
life's rich tapestry: they pass; weave, bind and stitch together.

Gordon