Sinister: Let's Taste The Thrill Of Stolen Love Once More Until The Dawning

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Mon Jun 11 00:46:03 BST 2001

Hi All,

It seems to be OK to discuss the new single even though its not been
released yet: so as I was able to overhear someone listening to it the other
evening I'll stick my oar in too with a couple of initial impressions.

I'll agree with fellow juror Mr Leonard's consistent high scores & would add
that the first thing to strike me was how great it SOUNDS: a beautiful
recording, crystal clear with every voice & instrument distinct. There's a
splash cymbal in Jonathan David that shatters as painfully as a sheet of
glass.

The most impressive thing about JD seems to be the vocal arrangement & the
way it builds between Stevie Reverb, Stuart & (what sounds to me more like
Sarah than Isobel, but I'm most probably mistaken). Is it this that has
inspired the comparisons with The Zombies? I also caught myself jigging
about to it behind the settee in my uniquely clumsy way.

As to TYCCASI (yes!) I think its the string arrangement that makes it:
someone's getting better at these, from FYHCYWLAP, through Camera Obscura's
Eighties Fan & now this - wow! I've been trying not to think about the
lyrics too much though as in certain aspects they reflect my own current
work experience & I fear that pondering them too closely might make me blub.
Pretty pedal steel too, I wonder who plays that?

Its really difficult to achieve an objective viewpoint on this now but I
suspect that if I knew nothing about Belle and Sebastian and were to hear
this on the radio it would have the same effect on me as The State I Am In
did in '96.

TLOTMDR: is it really 3 and a half years since this was broadcast on Beat
Patrol? Great to have a "proper" version available at last. So many
instruments! At least 6 guitars, I think, as well as various keyboards,
strings, percussion & whistling: you'd probably need chemical help to listen
to them all at the same time.

Anyway, onto that real list business stuff. Peter Miller asked for a Chris
Leonard gig review days ago & never received one. I bet a list Mum or two
went, but all Lulou at missspell.org does is snub Peter by consistently calling
him "Millar".

All I can contribute is a note about The Foxgloves gig last week when they
played to a lucky audience of 8 gorgeous people & me (at least two thirds of
whom listees) in a smart loft in Clerkenwell. Great sound, welcome,
hospitality & atmosphere despite (because of?) the small number present. Joe
Brooker/The Pinefox kicked off proceedings with 3 new solo songs before
being joined by Stevie "Le" Troussé for another 10 numbers including 2 new
Stevie songs & covers of Laura Cantrell & some geezer called ?Lloyd Cole.
Excellent: wish you all could have heard it.

Jinx followed with a delightful performance but I can't go into as much
detail because unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with their material.

Thanks to all concerned.

Where's Big Gay Mark's right arm in that Primrose Hill picnic photo?
	http://www.missprint.org/sinister/picnics/May2001-ThePrimrosePath3.html

The new Super Furry Animals album is fantastic. I never thought I would read
myself saying that.

My PC's been busted so I've missed the Dunoon reviews on Sinister: were they
any good? Soon be Friday!!!!!

Love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK