Sinister: indie schmindie

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Mon Jun 11 00:54:14 BST 2001

hello list folk

again, a long time since I posted, mainly thanks to repeated illnesses. very
frustrating. I have literally *just* got over a bad cold, only to get
another worse one. so today I am at home, surfing the net, and reading "The
Name Of The Rose" by Umberto Eco, which I must confess to be one of the very
best books I have ever had the fortune to read, in a year where I have read
very many good books. it's great, at work there are three of us who depole
sport and talk about books, and we've ben passing stuff around, which has
been fab. I haven't had to visit the public library in months.

righto, firstly a question .....
***CAMERA OBSCURA***
Can anyone tell me what this band is actually like, and whether they have
released anything. (and by way of an aside, I should point out that the
demise of Napster has MADE ME BUY LESS RECORDS. yes, it is true. last year,
hearing about bands on this list, I would download a few tracks, and if i
liked'em, would buy an album, or, in the case of Hefner, their entire back
catalogue, plus singles, and then start accumulating bootlegs. now I just
tend to ingore a lot of the recommendations, because the NZ dollar is so low
it makes buying an album unseen a real risk) so, err .... screw you, major
record companies.

Anyway, Camera Obscura sound liuke they'd be really great, so if anone would
like to e-mail me and tell me a little more about them, what's available
etc., I may very well take the plunge.

next ...
***THE PRISONER***
I know fellow Auckland listee Scott M mentioned this a week or so back. any
other fans? I have just started watching the show, and it really is
brilliant. it also makes bits of Mansun's "Six" make a little more sense
too.

thirdly (or, fourthly, if you count the introduction)
***NEW B&S STUFF***
was wondering what sort of hype (if any) was going on. there was a lot in
the music papers when "Legal Man" was about to come out, but there doesn't
(to me) seem nearly as much excitement or hype this time. I still haven't
heard the sibngle, but am nonetheless excited.

Also, anyone know anything more about the s/t album. Will the Jeepster album
be just the B&S stuff (hopefully), or half and half with the other stuff.
Also, is it a mixture of "proper songs" and score, or jusr score. Any info
appreciated .... takes a while to trickle down this side of the world, is
all ....

finally
***THE BEACH BOYS***
Buy more of their albums. I have ... I bought 4 of the two-for-one CDs the
other day, and haven't looked back. Especially "Friends" and "Sunflower",
each of which is *almost* as good as "Pet Sounds"

right, back to bed and books,

mike love, not war

Lawrence Mikkelsen