Sinister: Dunoon

lulou lulou at xxx.org
Mon Jun 11 11:24:34 BST 2001

Hullo

I don't think anyone has posted about Dunoon yet. In fact, there didn't
seem to be many listees that I recognised there, but it was dark, and we
all had our faces turned longingly towards the stage.

Firstly, it was great. I hope no-one is offended because they can't get to
gigs, but honestly, it was a joy.  They played for over an hour, and
(according to the NME) played 20 songs.  When we arrived in Dunoon, we
went to the tourist office to try to get a cheaper B&B than the one I
booked over the modern internet, but were told with great glee by the nice
lady there that we wouldn't find a thing, as the town was chock-a-block
with two weddings, a clan gathering, and "the concert".  Shortly after,
our B&B owner offered to put all four of us in the same room.
Rock-and-roll! We turned him down, were very respectable, and made it to
breakfast the next day. I think the good townsfolk of Dunoon may have been
disappointed at the genteel behaviour of the fans.  The ambulance which
cruised around the streets was, as far as I know, unused.  Although it may
have been on account of the weddings.

I won't attempt any detailed musical analysis, but they looked and sounded
lovely - really relaxed and happy. Various cool-looking musicians at
played string instruments and a flute, and the bloke from the front of JD played
bass.  He is, everyone said, "Bob from V-Twin" and I didn't catch his
second name - Kildare?  Anyway he was very cute and very good, and
searching the archives shows that he has been mentioned on sinister before
as resembling Rod Stewart, which I suppose might be true depending on your
opinion of Rod.

Didn't get any set list, but songs they played (in no
particular order) Family Tree, Like Dylan In The Movies, The Model, Boy
with the Arab Strap, Slow
Graffitti, Jonathan David, Legal Man, If you are Feeling Sinister, The
Wrong Girl, a new song about
Stuart's car, and (at this stage our collective minds got hazy) possibly
two other new songs, one of which started off with Isobel singing and
Stuart taking over. They obviously sang more than I have remembered, and I
am
lookign frantically through the albums to try to jolt my mind, but we
listened to "sinister" as we drove home, our wee heads bobbing
happily by the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond, and that has confused
me. Stuart writing a song about his car is proof that he is still simply
divine and mad as a brush, although there probably are true rock (and
maybe pop, and certainly country)
precedents for this.  Greater minds than I will probably inform.

Stevie gave a resounding rendition of Suspicious Minds in the request
section, and Stuart looked a little put out at the ecstatic response ("I
might as well go home...") but it was all really good-humoured - no
tension on stage and Isobel's hair was especially shiny.

People were at Perth last night?  How was that?  We are going to
Dunfermline tonight, which is seated, Katrina says.  Apparantly the set
list is not going to change much, so maybe I will be able to give a better
account tomorrow.  I will take a notebook.

Jonathan David has been on the radio, which is why I thought it was ok to
mention it.  I am afraid we have no special promo copy :)  But I need to
try to listen to it again, as at the concert Stuart joined Stevie singing
the last part,
and that seemed to anchor Stevie a bit. I still wish Stuart had sung this
song, no matter who wrote it.

As for Mistopher Chris.. he sang like an angel
and had a dog called Scampi on stage with him. Shortly after the
venue went on fire, but we sat tight.  The Dudley Corporation truly rock.

Apologies to PM - I thought I had that dyslexia licked, but obviously I go
a bit scatty when I am in the presence.

Lloyd Cole was on the juke box in the Sinbad pub in Dunoon. Honestly -
just squatting on top, taking swipes at everyone as they tried to put on
motown. "What do you think of my albums?" he snarled.  "We like the later
stuff" we said, surprising ourselves.

The Sopranos by Alan Warner should be compulsory list reading. But I don't
want to push my luck.

Linda
xxx